Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need suggestion for rear end for Dodge Truck

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Eric H Adams, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Eric H Adams

Eric H Adams

Looking to replace the drum brakes on my 1955 dodge C3-B6-108. I think I will be using the front replacement kit from RustyHope.

What can I use for to replace the rear ones. I had heard I need to replace the whole rear axle.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. KenC

KenC

You want to go to disks? what do you have for trans/emergency brake? All those things matter in the decision. IMO, rear disks on a truck that light are overkill/unnecessary. The drums will work fine with front disks.

BTW, I have a 56 and will be keeping the original. I'll need to do something with the emergency brake as it will have an 833 OD trans. Either a disk on the pinion yoke or later backing plates w/emergency setup. But, I need the lower gears in the original to work well with the OD.

3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

As above, also a wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface width would help you get suggestions.

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I like seeing a pic's before commenting...

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I would keep the drum brake rear end. Millions of cars were built with discs front and drums rear with no problems.

But, if you insist, Lincolns used a Ford 9" with discs and the same bolt pattern as your Dodge, starting in the early 80s. You might also look at some later model Jeeps. The main thing is to get something close to the right width that fit your wheels. No doubt you will have to weld on mounts, I believe Summit sells new ones. Best shot is to hit the junkyards with a tape measure.

6. Eric H Adams

Eric H Adams

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll see how the truck feels after the front end is changed out and then go from there.

This is my first foray into a vehicle this old. I may try to go down the wrong path once or twice and look to places like this to help keep me focused on the correct path.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Scruffy49

Scruffy49

Easiest swap out there... XJ Cherokee just needs new perches. Depending on your wheel choice you might need spacers.

My 49 B1b-108 is getting the 5spd and rear end from a wrecked 92 Ranger. Four banger early 90s Rangers have the same power as a built 218 or warmed over 230 L6. Same bolt pattern, self adjusting brakes, Dodge brake handle will work the Ranger cables.

Building a warmed over 57 Fury 230. Redrill bellhousing, Ranger disc, stock 49 linkage and throwout bearing.

8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

BTW, I have a 56 and will be keeping the original. I'll need to do something with the emergency brake as it will have an 833 OD trans. Either a disk on the pinion yoke or later backing plates w/emergency setup. But, I need the lower gears in the original to work well with the OD.[/QUOTE]

I don't think a 833 OD trans is original.

9. Arominus

Arominus

8.8s out of 95-99 explorers, look for Eddie Bauer’s as they have LSDs with discs Standard if I remember right. I believe are about the right width (I’d double check) @59.5”. 3.55s usually with a few 4.10s floating around. There are guides on the code you need to look for in the door jam to see what they have. I’m planning on shoving one in my desoto with a perch change. Hopefully in 4.10 if I’m lucky as I will have an A518 OD auto behind the motor. These are c clip axles, so that is one downside. Still cheap and available in the yards though!

10. Arominus

Arominus

I don't think a 833 OD trans is original.[/QUOTE]

It’s not, that’s a 70s rework of a 60s mopar 4 speed. Still a great choice though, OD is nice. The backing plates might be a tough one, that’s a tapered axle 8 3/4”, I’m not sure that the later plates swap on. Worth investigating though.

11. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

My truck in this picture, has a 67 barracuda rear end tucked under it with 8" wide wheels. Tucks in there nice, If you are running more of a stock approach to things, any 60s dodge pickup axle 1/2 ton will work, they are a tad wide so you need more offset on the wheels to accommodate it, but the 8.75 rears used in all I have shown here, is a more common rear end, better brakes, espically if you get the later 60s truck with the 11" brakes. I have beat on this truck for 10 years with minimal issues ever. 51-1.jpg

waxhead likes this.