Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some pointers on removing rear glass on 54 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Sideways, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Jim Sideways

Jim Sideways
    from Ohio

I just got done doing a search on here and didnt find anything that helped. I am wanting to remove the trim without F-ing it up. I know on the front it has clips but on the back it looks like a T that goes in the rubber. It isn't budging. I know there has to be a dozen of you atleast who has done this so bail me out guys:confused:......
    Thanks, Jim

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Prolly about a half dozen little short guys go thru the rubber to the inside...prolly 3/8" heads...

R-

3. A tudor? I know the trim below the windshield has bolts, the trim around the beltline. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

The trim around the window itself, that fits into the rubber? Comes out with the rubber and glass - pull the inside trim, run something around through the seams to loosen it, and it pushes out - if the rubber is shot/gotten hard with age, cut it and get a new one.

4. Jim Sideways

Jim Sideways
    from Ohio

Here is a picture. They say a picture is worth a thousand words... I just hope I remember how to load the pic.

[​IMG]

Looks like I got it.

5. Jim Sideways

Jim Sideways
    from Ohio

Thanks guys I'll give that a try.. Just wait until I start putting it back together. I bet I'll be up to 500 post in no time:eek::eek::eek:!!!!!! LOL!! I hope not..The hole car is coming apart and re-doing everthing.

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

The rubber is too hard and brittle to reuse. I use a snap-off razor, lay it against the glass, and cut the rubber weatherstrip off that covers the edge of the glass. Once that part of the weatherstrip is cut off, the glass will just lift out freely.

7. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

Like they said, dont try and save the rubber, just cut it. The clips in the corners on mine were too far gone but these below are what i made up. The originals are similar.
    Hope they help. Cesar
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

As previously stated, you remove the upper corner trim and then cut the seal and after the glass is out you can remove the rest of the seal and the trim.

I formed a piece of metal and welded it to the car so that the window openining is like the 150 series and I eliminated the stainless trim. I used the 150 series rubber seal on the front glass too. They are more expensive but it was what I wanted.

John

Attached Files: