Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Need some Plymouth help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackdog, Sep 20, 2017.

1. blackdog

blackdog
    from Golden BC

Hey guys, Its been a really long time since I posted anything. Things are really coming together on my '46 Plymouth coupe project but I could use a little advice on how to get the window cranks and interior door handles off. I am going to replace the original door latches with some bear claw latches that I picked up. Is there a clip that needs to come off? What retains these handles? The over padded horrendous '80 velour covered door panels aren't helping. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks. Blackdog

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Not sure about 46 Plymouth but they should look similar to these. th.jpg
    There is a flat tool to remove them and I have heard of using a shop towel worked across both sides of the clip to pull them out. I have not had great luck with the latter but I have seen it done. Took the guy about 30 seconds.
    Tool thI0TUY6FI.jpg

3. blackdog

blackdog
    from Golden BC

Thanks for the thoughts. I am familiar with that style clip but cant seem to feel one in there.

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You can also take a rag and rap it around the handle and pull it back and forth to remove the clip.

harpo1313 likes this.

5. silverdome

silverdome

You push the round trim escutcheon toward the door and there is a 1/8" pin that you must push out that secures the handle to the square shaft of the window roller and door latch mechanisms. If you roll the window all the way up you should be able to see the pin.

das858, Mark Roby and Fitty Toomuch like this.
  6. Mark Roby

Mark Roby

What Silverdome said. You can usually tap it out with a small punch. I've done it with an ice pick even!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. 4dr orphan

4dr orphan
    from Michigan

8. blackdog

blackdog
    from Golden BC

Awesome, I had a feeling there was a cross pin in there. My gross puffy door panels are making it tough to see. Im going to redo the panels just didn't want to damage the backing board. Thanks for everyones help

9. in '46 it should be a roll pin into a square shaft on that one. It is a matter of smushing the door panel and looking for the pin.

10. 4dr orphan

4dr orphan
    from Michigan

[​IMG]

Notice the door handle pin can be inserted in 90 degree increments, the window crank can only use one way.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Learn something new every day. I never dealt with the pin before.

12. 4dr orphan

4dr orphan
    from Michigan