Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some pics and some ideas for 39 Chevy Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WhiteZombie, Nov 1, 2008.

1. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Just about to start a new project...a 39 Chevy Bus. Coupe. Im wanting to do something different with it...don't really want to do the full fendered "street rod" thing with it. I was thinking of going fenderless and hoodless...haven't seen any done like that and would like to see some pics if anyone has any.

Need some input. :confused: I would like to run early 30s shell and lights...what do you guys think? Should I use the original frame?

Don't have any pics...I haven't pulled it out of the weeds yet.

Any input and pics would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

There is a reason you haven't seen one done without fenders. Fat fender cars look silly without them, and putting on early 30's grille and lights would look even more cartoonie. But it is your car, do with it as you please.

3. chad

chad

One word for a chevy coupe!!!! "GASSER!!!!" Chevy coupe's make wicked gassers

4. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

I was leaning toward fenderless mostly because one front fender is missing/misplaced....might be there.

They do make a sweet Gasser....I didnt think that it would look too bad without fenders because it is the same basic body shape of many of the mid 30s coupes and 33 34 Ford coupes look tuff fenderless IMO.

Did they run many 39s on the lakes back in the day?

5. 'Mo

'Mo

I don't have a scanner, but a fenderless '39 competition coupe was pictured in Sept. '62 "how to HOP-UP your engine" magazine, and actually looked quite nice. The '39 grille and hood was used, with panels filling the gaps left by the fenders. It was also channeled, and had a beautifully chopped top with a severely leaned windshield. The rear fenders were neatly radiused for slicks, which effectively eliminated the front half of the fender, due to the deep channeling. The car's owner was Jim Hicks.

6. Full custom sled, with a nice flowing chop sounds good.

7. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Check out the pictures of El Mirage in the SCTA web site. There's a silver hiboy #270 running a Jimmy six, and it is very remenisant of the 1962 version spoken of above.

8. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Just my opinon.......NOTHING newer then 1934 should be fenderless. Gasser or Kustom

Attached Files:

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

I second that!

don't ruin one of the most beautiful Art Deco cars of the 30s by pulling the fenders and hood off.

They are perfect the way they are!

Attached Files:

10. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

YEAH!....I like. Im seeing mine black with Halibrand Sprints. :D

[​IMG]

11. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

On second thought there would be no night driving. Im only weighing my options...Im not dead set on doing away with the fenders.

It is my understanding that the 39s were came with 2 front suspensions. This one has a huge heavy front end...I was told it was called a "knee action" front end? Are there any advantages to either that front end or a solid front axle? Im guessing that it would be an easy swap to the solid front axle if needed?

12. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Unless its a tri-five CHevy :D

13. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I gotta idea-sell it to me, then you could by an older coupe to go fenderless. That is way too cool a ride to mess up like that!

14. pinman 39

pinman 39

I HAVE ONE DONE "THE STREET ROD THING " BUT BLACK PRIMER AND STEELIES.
    IT WORKS FOR ME .I DON'T KNOW BOUT TEXAS BUT WHERE I LIVE THERE IS A CUT OFF DATE FOR FENDERLESS ! look before you leap .

15. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Didn't mean to touch a nerve there. I don't mean that every fendered car is a "street rod"...there are definately some cool fendered cars out there. It just seems to me that the majority of the 39s you see are the same car with a different wrapper. I don't want to make the car just another 39...it seems that some cars just don't reach out and grab you because there are so many done the same basic way. At any car show I go to there are always the same 57 Chevys and I look at them and walk on by...the guy put his blood sweat and tears into it but its just another 57 because not that many people take any chances with some cars. People say that they are beautiful cars in there near stock form so there is no need to cut them up but a 50 Merc is a beautiful car too but people cut the piss out of them and each one grabs you and the guys blood sweat and tears are appreciated because he put a lot more thought and creativity into it making it his own. I guess I just have a need to stick out a little bit...but I guess all of us have a little of that in us.

16. ...if you go it, push the front wheels ahead some so it looks better.

17. NaKpinstriper

NaKpinstriper

The car droplord49 posted is NOT just another 39. And it looks so amazing with fenders!

18. Da Biffster

Da Biffster

I like the idea of no fenders, cause it's not done much. Everyone says they don't look right, but last summer up at Gettysburg I saw a ford done that was great looking but it took an amazing amount of work. The front end was extended, the body work around where the fenders were was reworked, cleaned up and just about a inch or so mini tub if I rememeber it right. It was a very good job. If you can locate a front fender, honest that would be probably the better way to go. I don't know how to post a pic of mine (2 door sedan), but I have mine bagged and with the wheels tucked up, alot of folks seem to like it.

19. Making a 39 Chevy coupe into a highboy would be a serious waste of a 39 in my opinion.

Check out the two 39 Chevy Coupes from back in the day in the book called "Doofus and Whiny."
    The book is posted here on the HAMB in serial form.

There's a lot of old tech in the book and the 39 Chevy coupes aren't the only featured cars.

20. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

I agree...that is a sweet ride. Skirts have really grown on me in the past year or so. I used to think skirts were for chicks...but that car looks like the guy driving it might get out and slap you with the back of his hand. :D

21. solid

solid

amen brother.