Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some legal advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willysgasser40, Jan 20, 2013.

1. willysgasser40

willysgasser40
    from Illinois

To pitted to see the production # the Vin only appears on the missing tag

2. McDeuce

McDeuce

I am no lawyer .. And I think you have a case and need one.

3. lawman

lawman

Sorry, But I had a shower today and washed all of the slime off of
    my body. With that said, I cannot give any advice until that slime
    come's back !!!!! LOL

4. Deuces

Deuces

lol....:d:d:d

5. I agree,,we may have a few lawyers here but I'm not one,You need one. HRP

6. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Contact The Illinois SOS police ASAP. If its not them, they will steer you in the right direction. Hopefully its not the Illinois Attorney General.

7. Marcel8u

Marcel8u

What's this cock sucking car look like now......from the website you can see the the rust and in the posting also says it has new black paint. It also states " beautiful original red leather interior" I'd say its red and original but differently not beautiful.

8. looks like they try to cover there ass by typing "legal" to the lower right of the picture. click on the word "legal"

9. joe--h

joe--h
    from New Mexico

When you click on their "LEGAL" link you get this. Looks to me like whatever lies they told to get you to buy are covered by their disclaimer. Seems kind of like a warning right there to stay away from them.
    The New England Classic Car Company is not responsible for typos or other technical or factual errors contained in these or any other advertisements. This includes, but is not limited to, quoted price, information on condition or specification, production year, history, or other details.

Interesting listing, did you get any pictures other than what's there? Color change from white to black? It's a collector car but after a color change it's not worth squat to a collector.

10. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

I have to ask, why didn't you hop a plane and come to Ct and look at the car?

I'm sure that anyone of us would be more than happy to look at a car for someone who can't make the trip, I know I have and would gladly do it again.

11. willysgasser40

willysgasser40
    from Illinois

The fact that is I got burnt and now I am now on fire .If I dont get my money back or some good compensation, I will use the fact that he sold a car with the vin # plate removed ! From a private message his dealers licenses could get revoked for selling the car with with the vin plate removed

12. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

I hope you get everything he owns

13. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I would use the number for the Wethersfield DMV in the earlier post. Ask for the theft dept. It's the main DMV in Ct and they will probably be very helpful. I would do as you say and bring up the removed vin plate. That will raise the red flag I bet.

14. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

Its funny that people keeping posting about the legality of vin numbers cmyhtrod is that an original 32 frame on your ride or a repo that someone stamped numbers on? With a jag rearend and your engine choice I'll bet money its a repo. If you report that the car in your possession may be stolen the cops are gonna impound it and you will have a hard time getting your money back or the car back. I find it odd that the add says it has new black paint but the pictures are of the before the car was painted? was the tag removed to paint the car? how much did you pay for this project? you do get what you pay for and depending on what you paid also will depend if you actually paid fair market value and if you have a leg to stand on in a legal battle.

15. willysgasser40

willysgasser40
    from Illinois

They never painted the car ! so the vin tag should be in place .
    Here is how the car was described in a couple of emails .

More photos....image of antenna hole is to show that all of the areas that look like rust are really just chips of flaking primer with surface rust. No rust perforation anywhere.

Marc

In a message dated 11/15/2012 10:24:05 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,

George,

Okay....photos coming in two e mails.

This is what I know and can see.......

One of 200 LHD disc brakes MGA 1600 Coupes imported. Judging form the trunk paint, would say it was originally maroon. Original leather seats are in very good condition...need to be cleaned or redyed. Body has no rust and is very straight BUT lots of chips in the primer and meaningless surface rust. No signs of nay repair or bondo.

Runs very well, 65 psi oil pressure, no smoke, good clutch, brakes completely redone and new master cylinder, most of the gauges work, have (included) a lot of new chrome, bumpers, grille, trim, carpets, headliner, interior panels, all rubber seals and gaskets, boxes of other parts. As you can see, we removed the wood floors and all glass.

A very straightforward project.

Marc

16. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

Like I said before I'm not an attorney but I do know alot about contract law and the sale of goods which your purchase falls into. I dont think that the disclaimer on the website holds any weight. the person you bought the vehicle from is a merchant and under the law is held to a different standard than a normal seller. There seems to be alot of discrepancies, especially the fact that the add says its been painted black and you were not delivered a black car. In the add it does state that it is a project, with that said what would be the difference in price between a very nice parts vehicle/project and the vehicle that you received? under the law they only care about how much money it would take to make the transaction fair. Is the dealer not wanting to communicate with you? like I said if you only paid 1 or 2 grand for this car I dont think you have any kind of case, now if you paid thousands thats a different story, I also dont know what the market value of this car is, many people on this forum would pay 10 grand for a beat to shit 32 three window with no vin and no title.

17. jhaas63

jhaas63

I love how people feel the need to tell anyone on forums how many posts they have on other forums. Who cares? Is it supposed to give credibility?

18. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

I can tell you this.....I listed a car on eBay, Olds diesel no less, 5 digit odometer showed 35k, I wrote it @ 135k as I bought it from the 2nd owner and knew real miles. Car had excellent paint done by a good friend, good tires and every thing worked, even the AC, but the engine was getting weary and being an IL car it was a little crusty undercar. It didn't sell but a week afterward I got a call from a guy in AZ, I'm in WI. I wanted 3500, he offered 3grand. After he hassled me a couple times I figured piss on it and let him have it for 3k. A couple mos. later the sherrif shows up with a writ to show up at the court house. Yeah. Make a long story short, this dildo flys up from phoenix all shiney and carrying his big ass laptop full of pictures how the interior is all dirty, yeah he was the kind of man that 'dirty' bothered. The interior had one cig burn, head liner was new, no rips or tears, seat belt got caught in the door before I bought it and never cleaned the grease off it. This went on for half a day, I had a guy with me that was a dealer wrench back in the day and had done work on my car, my expert witness. Focused on how I didn't misrepresent the car and did not lie about the miles etc. Judge babbled for 25 min. before he dropped the hammer on the buyer, told him he should have inspected the car first. True story, however, I think if you are ready to travel and make a case that the car was totally misrepresented you could have a good chance of doing this on your own. If I had been the bad guy, judge would have made me buy the car back, I'm sure of that.

19. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Dude, is this the Larry Parker website??

20. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

A quick google search tells me you need to contact the CT DMV by TELEPHONE and relate the story to them. I know it sounds ridiculous but sometimes picking up a phone and calling the people who specialize in the general subject you're interested in is very helpful. Seriously though, call the CT DMV, explain the situation politely and calmly, and follow their instructions. It will be a long time consuming PITA, but it's the best way to rectify your problem...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

21. expavr

expavr

22. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

People.
    Slow down.
    Slown down.
    Give him a calm call first.
    If he is a bad guy:
    If you call the lawyers and state you may just cause him to dig in.
    If he is a good guy:
    Maybe he was just busy and missed it and will make it right.

Getting lawyers and the state involved is never the best first move, and usually does not end up with anyone happy.

BUT if you need to, the system can work.

Slow down, talk to him first.

Take it one step at a time.

Good luck.

23. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

24. You just post here because you can say naughty words, huh?

I wonder if you can include a disclaimer, that says we are not responsible for lies and misrepresentations, and make it stick?

25. looks like he has a place to post feedback on his site so start posting on his site and any other site he is linked to. join a MG site and post your problem their and when word gets back he will be scrambling to make it right if he is a honest person. I don't believe in "oversights" and "typo's" when advertising a vehicle, i call bullshit!

26. SwampYankee

SwampYankee
    from Dudley MA

If I ever run into him..... I'll back up and floor it! Good luck and nail the little bastard!

27. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

No shit! Thats ugly to say the least.
    This one aint promising at all. As usual money buys everything, doesnt matter where you live :mad:
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="comments">
    </td><td class="comments" id="state1019588" style="text-align:right">
    </td></tr><tr><td style="padding-left:10px;">
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="small">
    </td><td class="small">
    </td></tr><tr><td height="10">
    </td></tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" class="compl-text" style="padding-left:10px;">"About ten years ago drove 9 hours with an enclosed trailer to this so called shop from Ohio and found all the Morgans this guy had to be all piles of crap that were pieced together form spare parts. Filed a complaint over this whole ordeal wtih Conn. and of course that was a joke too-they know he's selling this trash but hey collect the tax so what the hell! And the BBB is a total joke and Marc knows this-all he has to do is answer a complaint and it a done deal-no resolution just a done deal. Morgan I singled out to possibly buy upon closer inspection was put together with new sheet metal screws and had the steering rods spot welded together-"Oh I didn't know that" was Marc's answer Well after two hours of looking at all this rolling junk he had on display was dam glad to have gotten out of there with just the gas and time costs. And to think that Hemmings still lets this clown advertise even after I complained to them about this dork. Believe me every thing that is said against this jerk in here is true and the one glowing comment I'm quite sure was written by Marc or he paid someone to write it...."
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

28. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

Hobby, to answer your question, the car has been inspected by both NY where I bought the car prior to redoing it and here in Ct. I am comfortable knowing that if the car is stolen I will get it back from the authorities if it was ever recovered. But in actuality, why would anyone try to resell it? It is much easier & safer to part the thing out a little at a time.

29. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Best advice I've seen so far... give the dealer a chance to make it right; if he won't break his kneecaps. :D

Seriously, I hope it works out to your satisfaction.

30. I'm no lawyer, but I do know that it's illegal to remove the serial number plate.. I would recommend getting a lawyer who is licensed to practice in Connecticut.