Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some input on rear wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by charlesincharge09, Oct 22, 2013.

1. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

**If this is in the wrong category please move it**

This is what I'm running in the front. 5.50 16 Dunlops on caprice space saver rims
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382478594.040183.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382478606.533961.jpg
    These are the tires I will run on the rear, they are 6.00 16 Dunlops (second pictures is a comparison of one tire with a tube kind of inflated
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382478745.617373.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382478771.917498.jpg
    I need some input on what wheels to run in the back, I want steelies and plan on running spiders or moons all the way around. I will most likely need to run spacers so bolt battery isn't really important due to the fact that I will run an adapter/spacer. (The Plymouth is one wide SOB lol even with the widest ford 9" I could find) I was thinking of running the same rims as I am in the front but I'm unsure if it will look right. I'm at a loss and would appreciate some ideas and input, thanks!
    Here is a picture of the car with 15" wheels which I used for mock up
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382479111.801404.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Probably use Ford truck rims,,BTW,,what's a bolt battery? HRP

3. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Haha, damn auto correct.

4. luckyfasteddie

luckyfasteddie

Why do you think the same wheels front and rear won't look right ? Contact the tire manufacturer to see if both size tires can be run on the same width wheel .

5. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

Reason being is I think that the center of the rim sticks out too much, looks fine on the front but I'm undecided if the (no dish) look will be fine on the rear

6. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

I really need to get Internet at the house, silly iPhone apps

Anyways how wide would those rims end up being?

7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

8. luckyfasteddie

luckyfasteddie

Ol Skool Rods #59 ,Sept 2013 has an article "Ridge Park Rod " it has 17 x 5 wheels front and rear and he uses 5.50 tires on the front and 7.50 's on the rear so I guess 5.50 and 6.00 tires would fit the same size wheels . When I bought my space savers they were only 25 bucks each . Get a pair for the rear and see how they look . If you don't like the look you are only out the price of 2 cheap wheels .

9. jimbousman

jimbousman

Nice ride - nice bike too. Not exactly sure what you are going for but any custom wheel shop (and there are a few HAMB sponsors) can swap out pretty much any combo you need. I've seen a number of 17's and 18's with traditional looking steely centers on rides like your. They make a nice combo.

10. fleetside66

fleetside66

I'm not 100% sure of what you're asking, but here is a pic of the space saver 16" Mopar wheels that I'm running my 600-16 tires on. What bolt spacing were you looking for? Mine are 4-1/2, as is usual for Mopar wheels." The width of the wheels are 4-1/2" as well. Hope this helps. So what is a "bolt battery" again?

[​IMG]

11. Bolt pattern?
    -Pat

12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

If Im reading this rite, Why not just put one of the rear tires on one of the front wheels you already have and see what it looks like from the one side,just to see if you like it.

PS I would avoid using adapter spacers if I had the option.

13. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

Those wheels look very similar to my front ones, and they look good on the back of yours, I think I found an answer, pictures are worth 1000 words, thanks for the pic

And bolt pattern not bolt battery... Auto correct on my iPhone

14. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

The front and rear bolt patterns are different and with my limited rear end selection I could not achieve the same pattern without lots of money, my 9" rear end is still not wide enough for my body so spacers will be needed nonetheless

15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Not sure what you have on it now but it looks to be stickin out pretty good in the pic,with a wider tire even.

You know more about what your doing than I do but in certain instances you can compensate the diffrence with a more narrow backspaced wheel versus using spacers.

I will say Im not sure if I mind using spacers as bad as adapters but neither are as safe as a directly bolted up wheel.

16. A Boner

A Boner

17. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, charlesincharge09, if those space-saving wheels are made like normal steelies are, why can you not reduce the backspace, therby moving your tires outboard. Looking around, you might even find a similar wheel with less backspace, possibly eliminating machine work. Good luck, Bud.

18. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes auto correct can be your worst enema.

Chris