Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need some input on body and paint for my 32

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pumpman, May 9, 2013.

1. pumpman

pumpman

I'm in the process of putting my 32 back together again. My dilemma is this, most of my friends are HAMB'ers who have cars that look like barn finds and are period correct as they can get them.

My 32 has the original fenders and the repaint that was on the car when I bought it many moons ago. So it has primer on it which some of that was done by me like replacing the cowl vent and general clean-up. The fenders have the usual dings from life but are not too bad.

All of my friends keep telling me to not do anymore to it. Just let it be I'm told. Part of me says fix it, and the other guy in me says "hell that ain't that bad. The car is all apart right now having frame work done and when I get that back the rebuild will start and as of right now I have no idea what to do.

So, any suggestions would really be appreciated. I'm actually leaning to just reassemble her and run with it for a while but some outside opinions would greatly be appreciated. Help me guys.

I attached some pics before I took her apart and just before I took the frame to the shop.

Attached Files:

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

What ultimately counts is what will make you happy. One thing I learned long ago that is once you get a car on the road with plans to someday blow it apart to finish, that rarely happens. We start having so much fun with the car we keep putting off taking it off the road. That is why my 27 was in purple primer for most of it's life. :eek:

Do what makes you happy, not your buds. :)

Don

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I'm with leaving the paint as is for right now and enjoy the car some. It'll get more attention too. The only thing i'd consider is repriming the primed areas the same color primer.

4. pumpman

pumpman

Thanks guys, I do intent to go with one color primer if I just rebuild it. I guess my problem is I really dig both ways and just can't seem to pick the direction.

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

There are all kinds of ideas about paint,but I've always only had one about paint;,If you care about a car, show that by dressing it up in best shiny you can do or aford. I see way to many rods that look RATTY=bad paint or no paint ect.
    Repect the metal, make it smooth and shiny. Perimer is just find for a short time as you make it better,but flat is not a finish. Patina got to be one of the most missused words around= need fixing,it's been used up as is.

6. F&J

F&J

If it was my car..I would spend whatever it takes to match that color and only paint the parts that are not the red. I like the color on that particular car with it's present build style.

I also like older paint as it will be viewed as older paint, and not be picked apart by people who know it is not perfect new paint on perfect bodywork.

7. Fenders

Fenders

Once you paint it you can't go back. change the primer to a red primer color which will better match the red paint, but still give the "working on it" look. Drive it for a while (or a few years). You can always paint it if you get tired of the primer look.

8. pumpman

pumpman

You know, I never thought I would be in this position. But this one I have been collecting parts for it so long and now that I'm at this point of going back together I want it to represent the car and not me. Shit now I understand how the other guys felt that have had to deal with this. Although it is nice problem.

Thanks again guys and please keep it coming, I really respect your suggestions.

9. NealinCA

NealinCA

I agree 100%. Spot it in and make it all one color...leaving as much of the old paint as possible.

Neal

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I agree, Don. In fact, I'm getting ready to buy an OT beater, so I can see a paint job on my T Buckets horizon.

It was easy to deal with a nice gelcoat finish and have fun, instead of painting. In hind site, after my wreck, I should have painted it. It was all apart and would have been easy.

11. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I agree with the match the paint and spot it in crowd. That car deserves paint of some sort though, whether it's spotted in red or a totally new finish. You came this far, don't stop now...

12. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

This is exactly what you should do (or at least what I'd do if it was mine).

13. Midget25

Midget25

Quit worring about what every one else thinks, they are not paying for it or working on it. It's your car. (And a nice one at that)

14. pumpman

pumpman

Thanks Don, I appreciate your suggestion and as said never had this happen to me. But I want to do the car right.

31Apickup
    Re: Need some input on body and paint for my 32
    I'm with leaving the paint as is for right now and enjoy the car some. It'll get more attention too. The only thing i'd consider is repriming the primed areas the same color primer.

This is what kind of suggestions I was looking for, and I thank you but I still don't know.

dana barlow
    There are all kinds of ideas about paint,but I've always only had one about paint;,If you care about a car, show that by dressing it up in best shiny you can do or aford. I see way to many rods that look RATTY=bad paint or no paint ect.
    Repect the metal, make it smooth and shiny. Perimer is just find for a short time as you make it better,but flat is not a finish. Patina got to be one of the most missused words around= need fixing,it's been used up as is.

Dana thanks, but I don't know if that is what this car is all about. 99.99% of the time I'm right there with you.

Fenders
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pumpman
    Thanks guys, I do intent to go with one color primer if I just rebuild it. I guess my problem is I really dig both ways and just can't seem to pick the direction.
    Once you paint it you can't go back. change the primer to a red primer color which will better match the red paint, but still give the "working on it" look. Drive it for a while (or a few years). You can always paint it if you get tired of the primer look.

Fenders thank you, I was sorta thinking about this because of the old paint. I like the suggestion, thanks.

NealinCA
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F&J
    If it was my car..I would spend whatever it takes to match that color and only paint the parts that are not the red. I like the color on that particular car with it's present build style.

I also like older paint as it will be viewed as older paint, and not be picked apart by people who know it is not perfect new paint on perfect bodywork.
    I agree 100%. Spot it in and make it all one color...leaving as much of the old paint as possible.

Neal
    Today 12:33 PM

Thanks Neal, you're making my head hurt, but in a good way.

young'n'poor

I agree with the match the paint and spot it in crowd. That car deserves paint of some sort though, whether it's spotted in red or a totally new finish. You came this far, don't stop now...
    Today 12:41 PM

young n" poor, I'm more worried about the car then me. But I hear what you're saying, thanks.

Corn Fed
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fenders
    This is exactly what you should do (or at least what I'd do if it was mine).
    Today 12:49 PM

Corn Fed, this is a real good solution for the short term, I really like the suggestion and support, thanks.

Midget25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Don's Hot Rods
    What ultimately counts is what will make you happy. One thing I learned long ago that is once you get a car on the road with plans to someday blow it apart to finish, that rarely happens. We start having so much fun with the car we keep putting off taking it off the road. That is why my 27 was in purple primer for most of it's life.

Do what makes you happy, not your buds.

Don
    Quit worring about what every one else thinks, they are not paying for it or working on it. It's your car. (And a nice one at that)

Midget 25, it is really weird, I'm an old fart that didn't give a shit about nothin, after searching for parts and looking at this car for 20 years it has gotten my respect for what it is. My main goal is to do her right. Protect her heritage as I would hope my family will mine. Man, this is getting really goofy, but I have never had a connection with steal and paint like with this one.

But, thanks to you guys I know what I have to do and when it is done I will share. Damn, I love this place, thanks Ryan.