Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need some informations for carburator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobo1, Apr 21, 2015.

1. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

Hello I would like to know if I can change my old carburator by a new for my Lincoln Y bloc 368ci ? [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And who can say me how to work this stange carburator !!!
    Thanks

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It is called a Holley "Teapot" carburetor. They were used on many Ford products in the fifties. They were troublesome even when new. But, hard to change because the distributor advance will not work with another carburetor.

When rebuilding a carburetor it is best to get the manufacturer's manual and follow it exactly. Either from the car maker or the carburetor maker. Or buy one from a professional rebuilder.

3. Some of the WCFB carbs will fit your pattern. However, like above^ you will need to change the distributor to a mechanical/ vacuum advance unit (post 57)

4. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

Thank you for your good answers

I would like to change the distributeur for modern one electronic but I do not know if it exists and or to buy it ?

Thank you for the manual It 's very interesting for me for to understand how to work

this is my car ;)
    [​IMG]

Hnstray and fiftiescat like this.
  6. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. LOL I liked 'em, the first 2x4 on my 312 had a pair of those. They eventually gave way to a Mallory distributer and a pair of small AFBs though.

They were not a bad carb they just had inherent problems that you had to learn to work around. leaking was the major problem with them as far as a carb on a driver is concerned. Once you cured the leaking problem the rest was easy. ;)

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What is wrong with the old carb? It might be easier and cheaper to buy a rebuilt from a carburetor expert like Carbking who posts here regularly.

9. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

The problem is that I have a hole has the acceleration and the carburetor avoids runs away,flees, I'm put in it a kit of joint of carburetor but the problem is always present

10. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the carburetor is overflowing (leaking at the accelerator pump and top vent holes), the inlet needle rubber tip and needle seat may have dirt or grit on them causing the bowl to be overfilled. Check the fuel pump pressure. If I remember correctly the inlet pressure should be around 5psi. If it is too high (some rebuilt fuel pumps can deliver fuel at too high pressure), the float cannot close the inlet needle completely when the bowl is full.

The primer bulb you have in the fuel line may be causing the bowl to be overfilled after the motor is shut off. The bulb can act as an accumulator and continue to push fuel into the bowl after shut off. I use an electric fuel pump inline with the mechanical pump (installed just before the mechanical pump) in my '55 Mercury to "prime" the carburetor before cranking the motor.

11. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

If you can get a 1957 or newer Ford "Y-Block"(272/292/312) distributor(single vacuum), you can replace the Ford gear with the Lincoln gear(they are the basically the same distributor). This solves the advance curve/ vacuum problem. If there is a wrecking yard(Dismantler's yard) with late '50s/early '60s Ford trucks &/or busses, look for a later Holley -style manifold to replace your early Holley manifold: you will now be able to use a modern Holley(they are MUCH easier to work on/'tune' than the 'teapots ever were!!) The Lincoln was basically the large 'commercial' engine for Ford during that time period, & there were several useful intake manifolds available! Also makes it easier to obtain repair parts if you say "commercial" or "truck" instead of "antique car"! I hope this helps!! If you find the manifold, it may already have a Holley carburetor on it.

12. As an aside bobo, what is a "controller of cars" as an occupation?

13. Just love that car.

14. SimonSez

SimonSez

If you did this, you could fit a Pertronix electronic module as well.

15. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

Thank you , I think , you are right for the primer buld , I just buy the car next week with it , I'm going to put on an electric pump to

Thank you for your good help , for the distributeur ,I think I'm going to buy a Ford Y bloc electronic distributeur[​IMG]
    And for the carburator , I think with this adaptator , I can put on a modern carburateur [​IMG]
    But what is the best of for a 368ci , 650cfm is good ? What are the best of carburator , Holley , Demon ?

Inspection of cars is my job , In France for drive with your car you need a "contrôle techenique " If you run without inspection, the policeman will give you an almond! I check the state of cars and give them an authorization to run for two years .

Yes I think It is the most beautiful of quite car which I have got
    [​IMG]

16. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

Yes you are right a Pertronix are good ,but I prefer to put a new distributeur

17. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

if you use that adapter that you pictured post #15 you will need to add approximately 2"(5cm) of spacers under it for the carburetor to clear the manifold((yes, I had one of these in the mid '60s). You will have restrictions to your airflow due to the small size of the holes in the manifold(& not enough material available to bore manifold out to match carburetor bore sizes), so you won't need a carb much bigger than 600cfm. That was why I recommended the later truck manifold that already has the later Holley layout & holes, & yes, I know finding one won't be easy, especially 60+/- years later, & in another country, but get the word out here on the HAMB : someone will have, or know where one is, & you might get lucky! Again: I wish you Good Luck with a beautiful car!!

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

If you go new style holley, I'd personally go with a vintage style rebuilt one. You can get one with the right steel linkage stuff, and early style bowls. The reason I say this is that the modern style holley 4bbl first came out on '57 fords so it wouldn't look too out of place on your car.

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I, too, admire your Lincoln. Beautiful car. Congratulations on acquiring it.

Ray

20. Yikes. Always best to avoid receiving an almond from the police!

21. oj

oj

Have you been to the FordBarn? It is a sister of the HAMB and has 'stock' type cars. Over there you'll find in-depth discussions of what you are contemplating, a couple expert teatop rebuilders and guys with cars just like yours.

22. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

Ok thank you ,I'm going to follow your council

You 're right , but it's not easy to find one in France

Thanks Ray ;)

Yes :D

No I'm not been to the FordBarn but I'm going to see , thank's