Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some info on TH400s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Revhead, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

The one in our '60 pontiac went out. It was behind a 454 BBC and lost reverse and puked on the floor. I haven't taken it out and don't really care what's wrong with it.

I bought a recently rebuilt TH400 for cheap ,so that's what I'll use if everything matches.

The old one looks to be a '76 model from the tag. It has a slip on yoke, and 4" tailshaft

The new one is an '87 from a 1 ton truck with the 4" tailshaft, but a bolted on yoke.

From what I read there's some concern about the o-ring on the tailshafts on the '87 and to make sure the slip yoke works with it, but is there anything else I should know?

2. squirrel

squirrel

metric torque converter bolts on the later converters...maybe....check carefully. Same with the transmission mount bolts, speedo gear retainer, and shifter lever...maybe.

Truck transmissions had a deep pan, so make sure that won't be an issue. If it is, you can swap the shallow pan onto the newer trans, but be sure to use the short bolt and pickup tube for the filter.