Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical need some info on painting my truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bmita, Oct 7, 2014.

1. bmita

bmita

i am getting ready to lay some paint on my chevy truck, i know some of you have done the satin paint on your hot rods. i am wanting to do a satin color with satin clear to keep it from fading. if some of you guys who have been there tell me what brand of stuff you used and how it went. thanks bmita

2. Try Kirker SG black,there is no need to shoot a clear to keep it from fading.

It's been on my Deuce pickup in all kinds of weather and still looks good. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The truck was painted 7 years ago and the photo above was taken last year. HRP

3. bmita

bmita

has anybody done any other color than black?

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dig that green color HRP!!!

5. 1oldracer

1oldracer

If you go to Kustomshop.com they have over 60 colors. This is a satin urethane that you use their hardener. It is easy to spray and gives a very even satin finish. I have painted several cars with it. One is on a friends 53 Chevy that was done 5 years ago. It has held up very well with no fading because it is just like any single stage urethane just that it is satin finish. There is no need to clear over it. He has driven this car all over and this past summer drove from the Chicago area to San Diego and back.

6. Any automotive paint store can add a flattening agent to any single stage colour you want. They can add as much or as little as you want to give you the desired sheen. As 1oldracer said there would then be no need to put a clear over it.

7. bmita

bmita

ok thanks for the input.

8. mike bowling

mike bowling

Coupe-"Martin Seynour" (sp?) paint from the local NAPA store-flat black primer,Ford P.U. green, and flat clear/ topcoat. The name, "Satin Doll" ,was actually a big band era hit by Duke Ellington,not something dreamed up .Car now has blackwall tires and all chrome rims.Roadster- was another NAPA Ford blue, with flattener in the paint and no topcoat ( 3 years old and going strong.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014