Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some info on my 28 Nash !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TRUCKRODDER, Jul 15, 2009.

1. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

I am picking up a 28 Nash from my uncle that was my grandads last project before he passed away. I will be taking pics when I get it. It is a 4 door sedan , was rebuilt like in the 70's , pretty original except the drivetrain. My problem is the hood and grille are missing which is what my Grandad was looking for to make it complete. What years am I looking for , etc...? I am trying to find some old books he had but still looking. I am trying to come up with some wheel ideas also. Going to build it back as original looking as I can ,so any pics would be great! Thanks guys!

2. I've got a full set of fenders that might work for you. I believe they are '29 or '30 Nash but may be earlier. Check my for sale thread.

Steve

3. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

Go to the cars for sale section.....do a search under 28 nash.....you can find all the parts you need .......stan

4. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

Actually the fenders are in great shape , I do appreciate you asking though. Just need the grille and hood right now. I just don't know what years are the same?

5. Homemade44

Homemade44

6. F&J

F&J

Nash made many sizes each year. look for a body number plate on the firewall or doorpost. It will start off with the model number, then followed by the number of that body. The Model number will decode to a single year and also decode to engine size.

edit; do a google search for NASH CLUB, then go to their gallery. There should be several different pics for each year and size

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  7. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

Thanks , I had'nt seen that one yet . Searched and found a little info here and there. I think these cars had some real nice lines .
    I had helped my Grandad work on this car some , it was several years back. After he passed away my uncle ended up with it and now I finally talked him out of it. I think once I get it all back where it is complete I can see what to do with it.
    Looks like some of these came with a smooth steel wheel of sorts. Mine has a Ford truck 5 lug pattern I believe, will have to see.It currently has some awful wire hubcaps! Would like a large diameter but original style wheel of some sorts. I saw a magazine that had a truck with Kelsey discs I believe , something like that would be cool!

8. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

Thanks f&j! I will check that out.

9. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Here's a picture of my '29 rad and hood before I chanelled the body, Headlights removed, not sure but wouldn't be much difference from '28.

Attached Files:

10. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

That looks close to the grille shell that is on the car , he had come up with it from a swap meet I believe , but that was it no grille or hood. He liked to hunt for the parts as much as building them!!!:D

11. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

.......didn't have a grille, the shell with radiator exposed is all there was. Finding a hood could be a problem, might have to improvise.

12. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

Yeah might have to bend a piece of aluminum diamond plate around some pipe to make a hood!lol!!:D Just kidding , don't get upset guys! I have seen something that bad recently. I did see an article somewhere that a guy was showing how to build a hood for a Model A I think... I will have to do some digging... I would not mind the sides being open , maybe. I am not much of a metal shaper yet though.:)

13. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

OK ,got the Nash home this afternoon , now I will have to check things out on it more this week . I will take pics tomorrow.
    According to the body # it is a 31'. # 890 774. Have not received the title from my uncle yet to see but I was thinking 28 or 29.Bear in mind someone had rodded it like in the 70's so it has a 351 and and auto tranny out of an early Torino , all had been rebuilt a few years back. The front suspension appears stock with the exception of a rack and pinion power steering from Mustang 2 ,I believe. I will have to get ahold of a guy that did some work on it for my Grandad and see if he has some info on it.
    I have not worked on many cars this era and I am surprised at how much wood is in the structure of the car. The floorboard appears to be mostly wood. That kind of concerns me even though it appears to be in good shape. Is this normal?

14. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

That's why they're called floor boards. :DAll old cars have wood 'boards. My '29 Model 430 had wood running boards and wood firewall; Now there's an oxymoron.............
    I like wood for many reasons. Absorbs sound, easy to repair, more rigid than sheetmetal, etc. Can't really think of a disadvantage other than wood will cost a lot more than sheetmetal, and on large areas it's easier to fabricate sheetmetal.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  15. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

Should I seal it with anything or paint it underneath? Also I was wondering why there is like a grab bar attached to the floor about a foot in front of the back seat, it flips from front to back. Boy, there is alot of room back there!
    This morning I found some real interesting wiring under the dash , orange extension cord and wire nuts!:D Will have to address that soon.

16. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

Here are some pics I took this morning.

17. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

One pic of my Grandson , he likes it already . The other pic of the rear interior with that bar on the floor I was wondering about?

18. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

Any ideas on hubcaps , I do want to get rid of the hideous wire caps :p.
    I should have the hoodsides and grille shell this week so I can get an idea on a hood and grille.

19. I don't know why you couldn't make one. Might take a couple tries to get it right but you just need a couple guys and a big pipe to bend the tin around, sort of trial and error until it fits right.

And before you think that sounds halfassed, watch the Overhaulin' where they build the Model A tub - they show Foose making the hood pretty much just like that, bending it around a pipe until it fit the car. I figure he probably knows what he's doing and all.

20. F&J

F&J

The bracket thing on the rear floor is a foot rest.

The bracket thing attached to the upper part of the front seat is a "robe rail". It is for holding a folded blanket for use when it is winter. Back seats were cold, and lots of cars had no heaters.

21. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Man, you don't have a lot to do, like you said; Hood, Rad shell, and wiring. Put it up on stands and check the mechanicals for safety, then drive it!

If you haven't found one there's a picture of a '28 on ebay. Has the original wood firewall!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  22. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

Well this car is pretty interesting so far. Even though the drivetrain is pretty modern I want to keep it as original looking as possible. Thanks for all the info guys.
    I have a magazine around here somewhere I saved because they were showing how to build a hood, and they did use pieces of pipe to bend. I think I might try that out this winter if I don't come up with something. I think there must have been a set of lines down the center and a beltline on each side , that will be a little harder to duplicate but who knows till you try. We have a brake in the HVAC shop I work in but not much more.
    Anyway keep the info coming and I will update more when I get started.
    Thanks guys!!!!:)

23. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

Picked up some parts and some paperwork this weekend on the car. The engine is a 351 W out of a Torino, the rearend is 56 f100 and the front hubs are mid sixties Ford car . Still have to find out more about the steering and the brakes. The hood is going top be hard to find probably going to have to build something later. The grille shelle I picked up is marked 28 Nash , I will have to try it out and see if it works.

24. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

Also found out it is a 31 and not a 28. More research....

25. Ghost28

Ghost28

Pretty nice old car. Have fun with it...John