Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some help with Ford 3X2 setup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tylerb, Apr 18, 2007.

1. tylerb

tylerb

hey guys
    i have a 65 galaxie. i just recently swapped a 406 into the car that i got from a buddy of mine. they put about 1500miles on it before i got it and the thing was running a 13.2 @ 106mph in a 67 fairlane so i know the motor ran fine i even drove it down the strip a couple of times. anyway i got the motor after it had been sitting for about 10 months and put it in my car. before i did i cleaned the carbs and followed the pre-start adjustments and the running adjustments that were in the book that came with the carbs. i checked all the linkages and they are working fine and opening all the carbs at full throttle and i checked the clearence on the accelerator pump arm and it is set to .015 just like the book said i also adjusted the idle mixture and the curb idle. i have it running about 900rpm at idle and i have checked the plugs and they look good. i also replaced the power valve. when i go to take off the thing will hesitate the go then hesitate again and while im cruising down the road the whole car puslates. when i hit a hill and hit the gas nothing happens unless i push it hard enough to open all the carbs. i runs fine at full throttle but just running around town it does that whole pulsating thing. i just cant figure out what the problem is. im in highschool and this is my daily driver so right now im out of a car, but i am determined to figure this out on my own. here is a list of what all is done to the motor so you have an idea what im working with
    it is bored .060 over with a 428 crank
    10.5:1 compression
    Holman-Moody solid lifter cam .526 lift and .290 duration
    and the 3X2 setup
    hopefully someone can give me an idea because i have tried everything i can think of and read the manual for the carbs inside and out
    thanks guys
    Tyler

2. Ole don

Ole don

What power valves are in the carbs? With that wild a cam, there may not be much vacuum at low RPMs, it may need to run in a lower gear at around 1800 to 2000 RPMs around town. Does it still have last years gas in the tank? A load of fresh 92 could make a difference too! Cool sounding ride!!!

3. old beet

old beet

I run the same tri-power on my 390. Maybe the accelerator pump dried out while sitting? Make sure the air filter is clean, they like lots of air. FEDER here on the HAMB knows these setups as well as anyone (he rebuilt mine) PM him. He may be able to help. I've been runnin mine for over thirty years, once set they are problem free!..........OLDBEET

4. tylerb

tylerb

the car only sat for like a week with no motor in it and i have filled up at the airport with 100 octane. i have 3 K&N's on it and they are spotless. i checked the vaccum at idle when it was in gear and it read 7.5 hg's there was a 3.5 in it before so that is what i replaced it with. i called Ken at HP trends and he said that was what he would use. i can understand the hesitation off the line with the auto trans and 3.00 rear but what i dont understand is the pulsating while im going down the road and how when i hit a hill i have to open all three carbs i just wont make any power on the middle one. we had a 4 spd and 3.00s in the fairlane and it ran around town fine. im sure the auto trans is a huge problem but for now its all i can afford. any ideas about the pulsating it does it at pretty much any speed if only the middle carb is being used
    thanks
    Tyler

5. old beet

old beet

I have 3.00 gears and a C-6, never any bog from idle to WOT. Don't think thats yer problem. I'd look at the center carb. What kind of vacuum?....OLDBEET

6. tylerb

tylerb

when i drop it into gera it gets about 7 hg of vaccum also do you know anything about vaccum modulators? if i turn the screw in will it make it shift sooner or later?