Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need some help with a gear box

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike Colemire, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I just bought a 28 chevy sedan, it has a 4 in dropped axle, transverse spring and side or cowl steering. Hope I said that right. It has a wore out manual steering box on it, all the front end parts are new but the box has a ton of play in it. It mounts in front of the cowl on top of the frame, nothing like I seen before, pitman arm is a welded up mess but is 7 1/4 center to center. It has the ball on it where it mounts to the steering arm. I can't post pics on here but if someone can give me a phone # or some where to send the pics, I'd appreciate it. I was thinking about a reversed corvair box but where the pitman arm shaft sticks out it's not long enough, might be able to get a pitman arm that angles out more. I could include a pic of the car because I got more questions on some parts I need to order. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. tractorguy

tractorguy

Probably not much help without pictures, but you may be dealing with an original 28 Chev box or something else from a more modern ? era. Quite a few non-Ford older "hot rods" used a version of the Ross steering gear. They were found on everything from tractors to Willys Jeeps. They are still readily available and can be rebuilt. The Corvair you are considering would obviously be newer yet. I do not have any experience with Corvair boxes except in actual Corvairs. What is the rest of the car and what in the big picture are your visions and goals for it ?
    Good luck

3. Mike,

Attached are the pictures you sent. I am not sure why you are calling it a chevy, it sure looks like a Ford.

Charlie Stephens

thumbnail-2.jpeg thumbnail.jpeg thumbnail-1.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  4. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I sent them Charlie, I think the one of the car I should have resized. I found a pic of an A box or parts of it, I think that is what I got.

5. I posted the pictures in Post #3. It doesn't look like an "A" box to me. It will be interesting to see if someone can identify it.

Charlie Stephens

6. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Not real good pics but the best I can do. You can see how far it sticks out past the frame. Any ideas or suggestions, I'd appreciate it. As for the other question, I'm going to take the crap air bags off the rear and put some coil overs on it, take off all the lights the guy has underneath, inside, you name it. The shifter needs replaced, has a home made rat rod looking thing in it that doesn't work to great, ordered new head light assy and stands to mount them sturdy, wiring is a mess. Brake pedal doesn't have the correct ratio. Motor is a real slick running 430 buick, 350 turbo with a 9 in rear. I need the outer windshield frame and door glass for both sides. It has new manual regulators but I need the track that the door glass sets in.

7. rwrj

rwrj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SW Ga

You might be able to adjust that play out of it. Those bolts near the firewall look like a good place to start. My Model A box has similar looking bolts, maybe look online for A adjustment info. Good luck.

8. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Not a Model A box, they have a plate that bolts on the bottom for the headlight switch and the shaft is too long. Model A steering box doesn't have a splined shaft.

[​IMG]

9. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

That does look like it except the lower shaft is splined. How could I mount a reversed Corvair box in place of it and get the pitman arm out where it needs to be? The extension that the shaft comes trough is 4 1/2 inches long. All I've seen on the corvair box is pics, wonder if you can get an off set pitman arm that would come out and clear the frame?