Register now to get rid of these ads!

need some help wiring up my gen and igningtion and regulator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billybadass, Nov 30, 2010.

1. billybadass

billybadass
    from ohio

like it says i need a lil help please.

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Could you be a little more specific in exactly what you need to know?
    That will help us to give you the proper info.
    Car, engine, ignition, you know make, model, etc.
    We'll go from there!

3. billybadass

billybadass
    from ohio

well i need to know after the power comes from the battery to the starter then what after that.

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

It makes a difference which what parts that you select. This is a hotrod diagram from the early 60s. It uses GM parts. Ford and later GM parts will be wired differently. There is no "one size fits all" wiring diagram.

Your engine will determine the starter motor which will determine the solenoid and how it is wired.

That's a start. The make of your generator will determine how it is wired.(it does not need to be the same as the engine)

The rest can be universal parts.

I always start with a drawing that shows roughly where each part is located on the car. Take one system at a time and connect the components with a line representing each wire. You will have to learn what each wire does so that you know where it goes so you will learn how each system works and what it does. Once you get through it once, you will understand your car and how to fix it when it breaks so much better than if you just plug in a kit. JMHO

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There are several common and a LOT of oddball hookups, so you have to specify...
    but looks like early Ford stuff on your profile.
    Rear plate terminal on gen, A marking, to A on reg
    Side insulated post on gen F marked to F on reg
    side uninsulated Ground post to baseplate of reg...some have a terminal there
    B on reg to battery hookup on solenoid...it would along the way feed your circuit breaker and go through loop or onto posts of the amneter.