Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some help on a 235 trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robleticia, May 2, 2010.

1. robleticia

robleticia

Alright guys, I have been searching but I have came up empty handed. I am cutting the floors out of my '51 to repair the cancer. I removed the trans cover and I noticed there are two holes at the top on the trans. The motor I have posatively identified as a 1958 chevy 235, the trans is a three speed and that's all I know. First off, how do I identify my trans, and most important, is there supposed to be two bolts in those holes to the bell housing? I found two at the bottom bolted from inside the bell housing into the trans. This is my first go at an old car and any help would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a picture to show you the two bolt holes.
    Thanks for your help!
    Rob

Attached Files:

2. wood470

wood470

Yes there should definetly be bolts in those two holes. If the tranny is an enclosed drive line then its probably the stocker. I wouldn't drive too far like that

3. robleticia

robleticia

Thanks Wood, any way to determine what transmission I actually have, like numbers on the case or anything? It is the enclosed drive line and appears to be the original. I saw those two holes and I knew it didnt look right. Any way to find out specs or info on that trans?

4. Snarl

Snarl

It's a 49-51 trans. '52-54 won't work without making a special mount, and it's unlikely someone put in an earlier trans.
    There is a date code cast into the trans main case, IIRC its on the top of the case. Should be something like C241 for example. C241 would translate into March 24, 1951...

Get yourself a factory shop manual...

5. robleticia

robleticia

Snarl,
    I kinda figured they didn't change the trans if they were to lazy to put the top bolts in. From what I could tell the trans tunnel cover had never been removed! Thanks for the help, I will definitly get a shop manual. By the way, VERY NICE truck you have!!
    Rob