Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need some help blending different colored fenders into old patina....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Lato, Sep 26, 2017.

1. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

I am still trying to figure out when fake patina became traditional

2. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

im unsure myself, i have been seeing more and more of it... i dont like the clear coated patina ordeal. that one is a head scratcher, ive always liked seeing a old car with cracked windows and nice white walls driving down the street. that always blew my mind cause ive always just fixed up vehicles to look new again

3. Enough chatter...go buy some paint cans, scotchbrite pads, various grades of sandpaper...give it a try...and post the results of your effort and experimentation.

A couple years back the guys on Spike TV (Trucking (I think)) did a '50's Chev pick up...look it up for some additional tips. I'm not tech savy with this phone (I'm too old), or I'd have the link attached.

chop job and Jim Lato like this.
  4. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Once I get a day off I’ll definitely post my progress fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackbeard40 likes this.
  5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I'd think with all the time discussing patina and how to reproduce it, that there may be enough time and energy to get the DA out and remove the paint from the whole body. :)

Jim Lato likes this.
  6. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Work paid for that time ;) lol but yes I agree

7. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Here is my el-cheapo what I had in the shop paint job. Till I save up the money for a decent one. And it blends not too bad with the previous patina paint, which is what I was going for, for the time being. Redid the water falls as well. Learned a cool trick on one of those restoration shows with that

lewk, RoadsterDom, slim38 and 3 others like this.
  8. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I think I’ll try to manipulate the paint job with the buffer or something to try and get it to match better but I’m digging this over what I had

slv63 likes this.
  9. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Great job ! I would be proud to drive it like that. Looks like it came out of a shed instead of a junkyard !

tinsled and Jim Lato like this.
  10. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I’ve had some of the best times in that car than in any of my cars. Just fun summertime car/ conversation piece. I appreciate it a lot. I definitely want to see if I can blend that front clip to the old paint a bit better.

tinsled likes this.
  11. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Jim....too bad you had to put up with a bunch of chatter and not get your questions answered. Being black I'd think it would be fairly easy to get it close and not objectionable to the eye...make the new parts harmonize with the old look of the car. Have done that myself...car looks neat...I like it.

12. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Now wash the white with some CLR and itll look brand new!

13. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Ya you will have that tho, thanks black panther, much appreciated I really enjoy the car as well,

Gearhead, clr aye?? Never thought about that

14. JimSibley

JimSibley

Just scuff down the better fenders and rattle can some semi gloss Black on them, let it dry and scrub the whole car with some comet in the water to give it a uniform dull look. It won't be a perfect match, but it will look better than the obvious fender swap now and it will still be a fun old car until you can get it painted.

Jim Lato and Speedys Garage like this.
  15. ...front clip I got for my 48 had virtually no paint left,...played around with it to match the bed/rear fenders...
    ...on your fenders I'd just play around a bit with some fine sand paper and some steel wool...
    48 f4 076.jpg 48 f4 drive 4-7-13 015.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  16. I'm not sure but I think it happened soon after the first guy painted a fake, faded, speed shop logo with a fake, 4 digit phone number on the doors of his old pick up truck. :)

bathcollector likes this.
  17. 0nedon

0nedon

You Go Guy!! any old car on the road looks cool! fancy paint or not

DIYGUY and Jim Lato like this.
  18. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

thanks fellas, i love this "sport" always a feel good when you accomplish bringing back a car or fixing it up much better than its original. i dont like fake patina as well. but when a guy doesnt like a brand new look or like your 48 now that is how it should look. if your going for that kind of look. ive seen some seriously ugly fake patinas. all i want is to kind of keep that pulled out of the pasture look. i know i always loved seeing an old car driving down the road but with some broken glass or all rust. i love it. i enjoy both extremes.

19. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

love that pickup, i got a 48 chevy pickup truck as well the old 3200 thrift master. that sucker you feel EVERY crack. old feed hauler lol but all original, my dad restored it when he was my age, maybe a few years younger.. but now its time to do it again, but its lasted very good over the years, he used tar paper for the joints and tar for the belly of it. it saved the truck. chipping off now but the steel is in fabulous shape

20. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

[​IMG] still my favorite image of this thread lol

Cosmo49 and CoolYourJets like this.
  21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

about the same time fiberglass bodies became acceptable.is there an unwritten law here that says only shiney expensive paint jobs are acceptable

0nedon likes this.
  22. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Hear that!

oldrelics likes this.
  23. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Besides all the jabs back and forth though there is a lot of good information on this topic so far

24. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

Ok so around 1980 or so then.

25. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Some of these guys just don't understand... I'm a broke college kid... I feel your pain. Your mistake was saying "patina" lol.... you can't afford/don't want to spend the money on a paint job so you just want your fenders to match the car. That's all. Take all the advice on here with a grain of salt. I used to take it personal, and then I realized most of these old dirt bags are just grumpy because their nurse hasn't changed their diaper yet and when they threw a hissy fit after reading this thread they tugged on their catheter... just move on. Lots of great info on this site, but again, take it with a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

nunattax, Jim Lato and slim38 like this.
  26. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

from GNRS 17 patina paintwork and woodwork[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Jim Lato likes this.
  27. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Ya I dig that, like this one as well[​IMG]

nunattax likes this.
  28. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

very nice jim.I hope you undersealed the inside of the wings to keep the rust at bay

29. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Ya gotta make sure I keep them nice and fresh !

30. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

currently recoring the radiator and doing some valve lash adjustments. installed the factory option clock and wiring that up, new heater hoses and got a new heater switch cause my old one leaks real bad. replaced some glass on it and lets see, will be tackling some rust issues in the trunk and floor boards. right now my only issue im running into is that either i will have to fab up new floor bracing or mix and match from other 55 year era cars cause the ones beneath the floor where its rotted is in poor poor shape. unfortunately. i could get artistic with the break press and fab up something if push comes to shove. havent had much luck so far, i got another post looking for that 1955 pontiac chevy welding assembly book for better looks at what i need to replace before i dive in.