Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need some help blending different colored fenders into old patina....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Lato, Sep 26, 2017.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you could find the episode of the start of this truck project you may pick up some pointers.
    Careful because You Tube will suck you in.

Jim Lato likes this.
  2. If it's only a couple of fenders, spray on a close color match, while the paint is still tacky, stipple it a little with wads of steel wool and bump it with a tool or two while you're at it. (let that season/rust a bit) Buy a cheap airbrush and concoct some trash paint into a thin, transparent tint that you can ghost on like over spray as you like. Give it a few passes with sandpaper and/or scotch pad and call it done.

Jim Lato likes this.
  3. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

haha, you said it! i updated my initial page, for fun lol.

4. metalman

metalman

First off let me state I like/ want shiny paint on my personal cars. That said I have done just what you want to do on several cars for customers. Tell you what, matching old paint is tough, much harder then painting something right.
    I always use lacquer paint. To get the right look I sand it with a wet red scuff pad then spray it down with straight thinner, tends to melt the sanding marks back in. Scrub hard enough to where some primer shows on the tops and edges. Lot of times it takes several applications of paint, scuff, paint scuff to get it to match. I've also done the water spray, rubber cement trick and purposely scratching the paint to blend it with existing patina. I even did one where I purposely wrinkled the paint with a heat gun to match lacquer checking.
    20170606_191632.jpg DSC_0268.JPG I did these front fenders on this 39 to match the rest of the car.
    DSC_0246 (1).JPG
    OT car but the car was in an accident, had a different left fender and hood repaired. Owner didn't want to paint the car yet but hated the green fender and primer over the front of the hood. I painted the hood and blended in the hood. So yeah, with a little practice you can make your fenders blend in.

lewk and scrap metal 48 like this.
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know where the having a car that looks like crap became cool but it still boggles my mind that anyone would want to be seen in a car with rust showing on it. Maybe because I was a broke ass kid in the 60's who would have bought a pack of sandpaper on the way from home from buying a car that looked that bad and would have scrubbed it clean the minute I got it home and started sanding soon after. It might only get a 10.00 primer coat from the local body man who would shoot a coat of primer on it if you taped it and wiped it down.
    There guys on here from Waco Texas who will tell you that just about every Thursday evening before a weekend rod run I could be found at WH Thomas Automotive spraying a fresh coat of primer on the 48. I didn't like the faded primer look so it got a fresh coat of primer every so often to stay fresh. I was living on 400 a month GI bill for going to school and 75 a week for working in the shop from 12 noon to 5 or 6 in the evening.
    Move forward about 15 or 20 years and I would be in my buddy's driveway in Granger Wa every year the day before the Vintiques NW nationals in Yakima spraying on a fresh coat of tinted primer. The same tinted primer that you see on it in the photo in the avatar in the corner. That was sprayed out in the open on a dirt driveway because I didn't have any other place to do it. That was simply because I wanted it to look decent. Now I go to that same show and see a bunch of late 50's mid 60's beaters with rust all over them that guys would have been ashamed to park out in the far corner of the parking lot in the 80's on display. I never take a photo of them to add to the photos I post here just as I don't take photos of that look at any other event.
    I'd much rather see that Pontiac with spray can primer on that front fender showing you worked on it and a few weeks later see you post another photo showing that you worked on another section of the car and have it in primer and see continual progress. That's called Yea Cool, he's working on it a bit at a time.

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  6. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Lol, understandable. Body is the only thing that isn’t done on the car.. and seats. But yes I’m only rocking this because I can’t afford a 6,000 paint job. And it just brings back good memories of me as a kid playing in the old cars behind the barn. So I enjoy it as it is. This what you see here? Is temporary. I have 3 cars that need paint. So yea I understand but I still like my car no matter how shitty it looks to someone. I’ll get the rust cut out like I said previously and redone, I’m taking my time with it and enjoying my project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slim38 likes this.
  7. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg
    This truck ended up looking great!
    Go buy some Dupli-Color spray cans of matching colors and some rubbing compound and have at it. Don't try and do it in one day....lay on the basic color the first day, then add the other colors in the next few days. You will probably have to keep on playing with it until you like the results or don't want to spend more on paint. If nothing else the paint you use will help protect the metal from rust. Down the road you can always redo it, it's only paint.

chop job, Nostrebor and Jim Lato like this.
  8. Kinda, but it's also about arguing a bit and giving each other sh&@ , most of the time with some humor, generally everyone gets along, some of them can laugh at themselves some of them can't. It's fun to shake the cage.

You seem like a good guy, roam the board and chime in. This board can always use some new perspective. Too many newbies are one-and -done, a few clashes and they're gone. Reading threads here is a great way to learn, these old farts are stubborn as hell, but they have deep knowledge. I get corrected and beat down when I need to be. I usually just read, but if something pops up that interests me or pisses me off, I can't help myself but to chime in, I'm a subversive. The good thing is, they can't reach through the screen and choke you...wait a minute, did you see "Videodrome?"....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

scrap metal 48, Jim Lato and slim38 like this.
  9. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Love that movie man! But yes I have been a big fan of this site and a while back decided to become a member. I have taken a lot of useful knowledge from the people on here and has answered several of my questions. I have been playing with old cars since I was a little guy. So I am kind of the same. I stand to the back and read sometimes chime in.

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2017-9-26_15-8-27.png

clunker, Jim Lato and Flathead Dave like this.
  11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

12. redo32

redo32

You're sure getting a lot of action on this topic. It's good to get these old boys fired up once in awhile. I went back and did a search for Don Dillard's 32 roadster. He lucked into a great patina garage find and had to make some new panels match. Here's his website. http://www.donshotrodpage.net/Project-32/Page16.htm

kidcampbell71 and Jim Lato like this.
  13. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

ya i must have struck a nerve!! time to wake up and do some ass chewing ! haha

14. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

This is the best and easiest way to blend in your replacement fenders.
    As for fake patina, I'm good with it.
    It's a trend but has held on for quite a while now.

15. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

yea i see some real good jobs and some pretty lame ones, im gonna try to make my car consistant with its original color scheme, just doing those front fenders. but man it sure is hard to find parts for this car, but not as hard as my 62 savoy.. shes sitting behind the shop.. i cant find parts for that car anywhere...

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My F100 is black primered, has been since...'94? Red primered before that.
    I just freshen it up every so often, too busy with my '27 tub, and other projects.
    I washed my F100 a couple of times, (bird crap and cat prints in the dust...LOL) so after I scrubbed it the last time, I let it dry.
    At the store, 3 different people stated their approval how my paint was 'showing thru'...(this was 2 layers of old primer! ...And they loved it!) I was amused, it did look authentic. How a nice old Ford was showing faded paint and a 'lower layer' showing thru!
    Think I'm ready for some fresh black prime. Hell, the wheels and stance deserve it!

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

20160318_140059.jpg
    The truck on the right I did trying to make it look old a faded and with hopes mother nature would take over and do the rest.
    I used an enamel paint with a bunch of flatten er.

18. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

i noticed that as well, as i stated earlier.. i cant leave a gas station without having some cool conversatuons with some people for 15-20 mins and a few slaps on the back.. and most commonly they say, i am so happy to see this car on the road it brings back some good memories and " you haven't done anything stupid to it" i think that is my favorite thing is the conversations i have with people about the car.

19. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

This is exactly the same pickup i have in the hay mow, 1948 chevy thrift master. good ol stovebolt! i just got it running after sitting 32 years. my dad restored it when he went into the navy for the Vietnam war and sat ever since then. so i have been restoring it for him slowly, obviously i have alot of irons in the fire but it feels nice to see my pops smile when that sucker came out the hay mow! he had no clue what i was doing back when i was on the farm. so as i go im replacing parts on it here and there getting it ready for him. its that same emerald green, but metallic. pretty cool to see those photos Saltflat, thanks man! ill see if i can dig up a picture. but that truck im gonna just get it solid and road worthy and get it painted for dad so he can enjoy it

20. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

oh i see you got the visor too, very awesome. he does as well.

21. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

[​IMG]

saltflats likes this.
  22. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

We've done a few of those. 20170922_161604.jpg 20170922_170850.jpg

mrspeedyt likes this.
  23. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I really like them a lot ! I just need a radiator and water pump and she’s good to go

24. nunattax and Bandit Billy like this.
  25. A Boner

A Boner

image.png If this truck was mine, I would slightly polish the areas that naturally wouldn't have faded and leave the other areas flat.

26. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

That thing is just amazing

27. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Lots of good tips in this thread Jim. Thanks for posting. I like all paint jobs and like you, I think I would try my hand at matching the fenders. Worst thing that could happen is they would need redoing. Post pics when you get done.

scrap metal 48 and Jim Lato like this.
  28. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

This has turned out to be a pretty good one! I’ll keep you all up to date like it or not I’m going to keep working on this and I’ll keep everyone in the loop.all these tips are much appreciated guys.

29. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Thanks cheepsk8 I appreciate it a lot friend !

30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would just drive it and he does. ;)

Jim Lato likes this.