Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some Halibrand Quick Change "free advice"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jpbanjo, Apr 3, 2008.

1. jpbanjo

jpbanjo
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa, Ok.

I'm putting together my first Halibrand quickie for my “A” roadster pickup. It’s new and one of the last of those “Made in Kansas” center sections from a few years ago. I’ve done a few standard Ford banjo rears and one Columbia but this is my first Halibrand. Can’t find any manuals anywhere so I’ll just ask.

1) What’s the best torque for the 3/8-16 NC steel housing to aluminum center section bolts? Is it the same or less than for the standard 3/8-24 bolts in the Ford steel center section?
    2) What’s the best lube for a Quickie? I’ve heard use Sta Lube SAE 140 hypoid gear oil but I think the regular Ford recommendation was for SAE 90.
    3) I know a quickie with straight spur gears is noisy and I’ve always heard that hypoid gears will eliminate the noise. Problem is they put to much pressure on the rear cover plate. Is that true and do they even make such gears?
    4) I’ve got my ring and pinion backlash set about right (.005/.006) but there sure seems to be a lot of backlash between the two spur gears (about .020 at the gear teeth) with no adjustment available. Seems like you would get a real ”clunk” sound out of the rear end every time you let up on it or is that just part of the charm of a quickie?
    5) Lastly, what the hell are those two side by side 3/8 pipe thread holes in the back cover for? I'm guessing it's to add lube for the spur gears but why two and why higher than the side fill hole?

2. woodbox

woodbox

Try using the search function on here. There has been plenty of good info posted on here previously.
    Good luck with the quickie. Im yet to put mine together and can't wait to do so.
    What are you puttin it under?

3. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

As regards (3) on your list, you mean helical-not hypoid and NO, nobody makes such animals. They would be impossible to install or remove on the straight splined thru and pinion shafts. The clearance (4) is part of what makes a Q.C. what it is. Remember: they were designed for circle track cars where once under motion you stayed under motion until either crashing or taking the Checkered.

4. GTX469

GTX469

As a vintage racer we run all the quick changes and they're basically all the same since Frankland never patented it. Go to Winters quick changes on the web and all your torques and fluid info is there.

5. GTX469

GTX469

P.S. Those 3/8 plugs are for filling the back section. Fill one till it comes out the other. The front section holds more and is lower so weight and volume will fill the smaller rear cavity higher.

6. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Halibrand does sell helical gears for the quickchanges, they do put added pressure on the housing since they are giving a pushing out motion, as long as the ring and pinion are set right there is really minimal noise from straight cut gears, some are noisier then others but thats part of love of them, that hum just has a sweet sound to me.

7. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

The bearings in the cover need to be changed to ones that can take a side load to use the helical gear set.

8. I ran synthetic in mine. With the regular oil you could not touch the cover plate with syn. no problem.