Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some Dynaflow help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailhead_brent, Jul 19, 2009.

1. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

So, I've got a '56 Buick wagon as many know and have seen. I recently had the old Dynaflow rebuilt and got the car all put back together, well it is leaking massive amounts of Transmission fluid. I put a new pan gasket in it about 4 months, because it looks like that's where it is leaking near. Since that, I have put 2 more pan gaskets over a short period of time thinking of all the stories I heard about them having to be "just right." Well at this point I dont think thats the problem! It is still leaking like the exxon valdez!

I was also thinking maybe it IS the pan gasket and it is creating pressure somewhere making the gasket blow, but it is leaking a very large amount every time I park it, or after sitting. I know Dynalflows leak but i'm talking like having to put 2 quarts in it everytime I let it sit for a week and go to drive it!

So, I am looking for someone or somewhere to take this thing in the Sacramento, San Fransisco area. I am tired of messing with it, and would like to just take it and have it looked at and get a second opinion if possible!

So with that said, any suggestions on where it could be leaking from or suggestions on a reputable shop to take it to?

Thanks in advance!

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Hows the torque ball seal?

3. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

to be completely honest I don't remember, I know we put a new seal, but there is so much fluid on everything, that may be the problem!

any way I could find a picture or breakdown of this dynaflow?

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The torque ball seal seems to be the biggest PITA with those. I think I have an exploded diagram of a 57 at the shop, if no one gets you one before I go in tomorrow I'll scan it and post it.

5. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

Cool thanks! I appreciate it!

6. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Brent: You may want to check the breather tube to verify it is open to allow proper ventilation of the transmission. If this is blocked the transmission will develop excessive pressure and will surely leak anywhere it could. The breather tube is on the extension housing of the transmission.:cool:
    BTW: Is PIETRO'S restaurant still in business in Vacaville?:confused:

7. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

I will check that, because that is what I thought at first. it seems like it is creating pressure and blowing out.

and Yes of course Pietros is still in business, want me t osend some pizza your way? haha small world!

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Pizza sounds great, but their veal scallopini isn't bad either. Their portions are huge (at least it was back in 78, that's how long ago I was there).

Good luck on the Dynaflow leaks, maybe that is why they called it dynaflow, it flows all over.

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I forgot all about the diagram, we were full speed all day today. I'll try and remember in the morning.

10. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I have a 57 dynaflow if you need spare parts, no pan though!

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

My manual has a bunch of diagrams and pics. I'm trying to figure out what might be needed. I guess maybe I could just scan the troubleshooting and assembly chapters.

12. Scotch

Scotch

My '50 Dynaflow leaks a lot too- all from the rear torque ball seal.

I learned that if I park it facing uphill (nose up), it will leak like a sieve. But if I park it downhill (nose down) it won't leak at all.

Pretty high tech, I know...but it helped me isolate the leak and minimize the bleeding.

My solution is a 700R-4, but that's a story for another thread...

13. fatsco

fatsco
    from pinebrook

the pans on dynaflows dont leak very often with a standing leak it will be some thing like a lever seal a converter seal or the torque ball retainer try putting news paper under it so you can get a better idea of what end or side its coming from if it just runs on the floor the fluid spreads out all over.If you need parts or a repair book give us a call Fatsco trans parts 1800 524 0485 x2 Thanks Larry

14. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I did see a product on Truck Sunday that you add to your oil or trans , like a die . You have to clean everything then drive for a while . After that you crawl under the car with a black light and you will see where the leak is ! It will show up like on the cop shows when they spray crap on everything to see where the blood is . Looks just like that .

15. fasttimes

fasttimes
    from NC

He might be a little to far for you. You might want to give Mike a call at Keith's Transmission in Castro Valley,
    Phone # (510)538-0055. He loves working on the Older Trans.

16. elanore56

elanore56

Qoute:
    He might be a little to far for you. You might want to give Mike a call at Keith's Transmission in Castro Valley,
    Phone # (510)538-0055. He loves working on the Older Trans.

Keith's is very $$$$. I called them when I was looking to have my tranny done. I was told about $3,400 for a full rebuild. I ended shipping it to kern transmission in Bakersfeild, I had it rebuilt for 700 or eight hundred plus the shipping. Althouht all my hard parts were in great shap. Ask for ken, He also did the Oz built 57 buick wagon.
    <!-- / message -->
    <!-- / message -->

17. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

My 49 Buick dynaflow leaked BAAADDDD and with the total rebuild, they put on a new improved torqueball seal and now it only leaks some. I got the seal from a place back east. PM me and I'll look for the place

18. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

What the leak is I bet is the torque drain back valve is stuck open and the torque converter is draining into the pan, this over fills the pan a causes a leak. That valve is in the valve body and it keeps the converter full so theres no delay when you first start up and throw it in drive

19. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

thanks for all the tips guys, going to go to a local guy here who knows the old trannys well, he said he bets he knows what it is thats leaking!

I will give some of you guys calls and PMs as soon as I get a minute!

thanks again!

20. britishfella

britishfella

Just to add a little something to the thread... I have a dynaflow that only leaks when the car is rolling (the carb and fuel pump are off). Thoughts? Torque ball seal is my number one suspect right now. Also anyone able to recommend a guy in the Twin Cities (MN) that is good with these?

21. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Does anyone know of a GOOD mechanic to fix my Dynaflow leak in the LA area? I''ve already been burned.