Register now to get rid of these ads!

need some chopping help....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evobuilder, Feb 2, 2014.

1. evobuilder

evobuilder

so I am removing my visor from the coupe (see pic) for a lot of reasons, but the best reason is that I don't like it. I need some help deciding what tool to use to cut off.... I need to cut a straight line, up against the windseild frame, so I can mount my new custom visor. Soo.... which does everyone else use for cutting looooooong straight lines....

• air nibbler
    • air saw
    • air cut off wheel
    • other?
    I don't want to use a plasma cutter as that would make the cut really ugly and the straighter the cut, the less work to mount my new visor.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• chop.jpg
      chop.jpg
      File size:
      118.9 KB
      Views:
  2. metal man

metal man

Air cut off wheel. A new, large diameter one.

3. I'd clamp a straight edge on as a guide and cut along it with a cut-off disc on an angle grinder.

4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

sheetmetal shears and a guide or nibbler .

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. straight edge and a metal blade in a circular saw , wear your goggles , its only 18 to 20 gauge, it'll cut like butter , clean the cut edge up with a grinder . if you leave it a little long you can peen it over or hem the edge .

6. I'd use an air saw, then sand it back to a scribed line.
    Cut off wheels make mess, and can get away from you.

7. evobuilder

evobuilder

clamping a guide is a great idea. I was going to scribe a straight line, but yes, a guide would make things easier. I am leaning towards a air saw first, air cut off wheel 2nd. I think the air saw will give me the most control, but the air cut off wheel would be the cleanest.
    We'll see it goes, either way, I need to order a tool because I don't have any (air) cutting tools. Time to get shopping!

8. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

if you don't have the tools yet make sure you practice with them first . unless you have used them before.