Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some carb jetting advice soon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Giovanni, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni

I'm in a bit of a pinch here. Last Sunday my neighbor ran over my only driving vehicle (my motorcycle). So i've been wrapping things up on my falcon in between two jobs and school, as my rental runs out wednesday. I'm concerned that it might be running a bit lean.
    The color on the plug insulators if a very light tan which as i understand is what you want. I checked the plugs at no acceleration, mild acceleration, and wot.
    However, it surges a little under acceleration. I took it on it's first ride on the highway at about 60mph (she really spins with the three speed). When i got home i went to read the plugs again I noticed the paint on the new exhaust manifold had baked into a white powder. Manifold getting to hot from lean jetting?? The exhaust also has that lean smell and stings the eyes a bit.
    When i first got it running it was having a tough time until i bored out the fuel metering hole in the idle jet slightly. now it idles nice and at the baseline setting for the idle mixture screw.

The jet that's in the carburetor is a 61. The carb is a holley 1909 single barrel on top of a 144ci straight six. I wanted to try and get a larger jet tomorrow to see if it makes a difference in the surging. How much larger should i get? 65???

Or am i barking up the wrong tree. I haven't checked the fuel pump output yet. Does it just sound like carb is being starved of fuel.

I know I'm a bit scattered here, but it's been a long week trying to juggle everything on top of losing my primary vehicle. Just wanted to make sure i got in all the info that i could to make it easier for you to help me:D
    Thanks for any help in advance
    -Giovanni

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Rule of thumb is 2 incrimates at a time ,Thats what I learned from all the 4 barrel Holley's I played with,,,What's the vacumn guage read and what is the float set at .........

3. Giovanni

Giovanni

i set the float at whatever the rebuild kit called for. Vacuum gauge read a steady 20 or so at idle. im pretty sure. it was just above the green zone on the gauge by about a pound. Timing is set at the specified 5btdc. New cap rotor plugs wires condensor and points.
    Come to think of it tho, when i pulled the top off the carb to grab the jet, the level did seem a bit low to me.

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Well I dont have to tell you to check that first.I know rochesters are 1/4 to 3/16 th and Im not familiar with your holley . And please give the bike up ,I know there fun but its the other idiots you have to watch out for .I m done my preaching .Recheck float and let us know........

5. Giovanni

Giovanni

Motorcycle was cheap to get around. i did about 14,000 miles of commuting and 1,000 for fun. And i agree, no shortage of idiots.
    Re checked the float level this morning. It's right at the 5/16ths that the rebuild kit calls for. It is a brand new float as well. Tonight i'll check the fuel pressure and the volume the pump is putting out. I could play with the carb all day, but unless it's getting a good supply of fuel, it would all just be for fun :)

6. Giovanni

Giovanni

Well. i ended up boring the jet out with a .0635" drill bit. It was stamped as 61, but measured .0595" with a gauge pin. Throttle actually responded on the highway, and the plug color looked a lot better. The fuel pump held 5lbs of pressure.
    I've still got to throw the vacuum gauge back on her. it was fluctuating by a pound or two when i first checked. I've been told a bad mixture will cause a little jumping

7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Check for vacuum leak

8. 97

"New " floats are often incorrect weight ........especially aftermarket ones made in India, check on the correct weight and weigh the float dry with a float scale or on an accurate kitchen digital scale. 12.5 grams for unbaffled style or 13.5 grams for baffled float.

Having said that it still sounds like an air leak or a timing issue..... have you checked the vacuum advance diaphram in the distributor? A leaking diaphram will give you both problems. You should use a vacuum pump with a guage to test it , but sucking on the hose yourself will give you an indication if it is leaking.

Other issues with Holley 1 bbl family .. economiser valve hanging up, or valves (ball bearings)inside the main well corroded and/orsticking . Float hanging in bowl..touching sides. worn throttle shaft and plate.....

However the biggest problem is people......... mismatched parts from other carbs in the family, the main well is one of the most abused issues, they all physically it in other carbs but the passages do not always line up. A misaligned fuel passage will act like a jet , restricting flow.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni

I rechecked the vacuum this afternoon. 23in. and no jerking around like before. it wanders about a half an inch. Seems like getting a little more gas in there was what i needed. Timing is set at about 5btdc. when i blip the throttle it goes right up to 14. seems to be running good. plugs look good under wot and mild acceleration now.
    I do plan on replacing the vacuum diaphram at some point soon tho. fuel pump too. cheap insurance, especially the pump. dont want a quart of gas in my crankcase when the seal goes! :)

10. Giovanni

Giovanni

Thanks again everyone. I'll have to check the float weight. Never even occurred to me.
    As long as my plugs are a light brown color, i shouldn't be doing any harm right? no pinging either

11. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Are you sure 23 inches of vac ,21 is the norm Check the fast idle screw or retard distributor or turn idle down a hair ,,,,,,,,,,,, After it is warmed up if its 21 leave it alone........

12. Giovanni

Giovanni

23. The throttle linkage sticks a little at the end of its travel. if I push it closed, then the engine will slow down. It might be 21 at the slowest idle.
    When slowly opening the throttle, should the vacuum still drop at all? When i blip it, it drops towards zero. When i slowly open it, it gradually falls to about 18 or so before beginning to rise