Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some advise for my Shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by msalamanca, Jun 27, 2012.

1. msalamanca

msalamanca

I have been trying to gather info, etc, so I thought maybe some of you can give some good advise.

I am going with a 283 from a 57 Bel Air untill I get enough money to get the flathead rebuilt (or get another 41 Ford to put the flathead in). I thought this would still be pretty period correct and its a solid runner for free.
    1) Anybody have some pics on a period correct dressed 283?
    2) Whats a good carb set up to run?
    3) Color, Not sure what to go with.
    4) I have a 51 Ford 3 sp w/OD trans, and a what appears to be 55 3 sp Chevy Trans. Not sure whats the best to run.
    5) With a front mount SBC, what are some of the issues that need to be fixed before dropping it in. I know the 65-67 pan.

Looking to get a Maverick rear end, what the going rate? A guy says he has one for 300.

Also, I want to french my headlights, but do not want to use the merc lights, I want no tunnel. The 49-50 headlight rings are used for this right?

Think thats it for now, thanks guys for all your input in the past and possible redundant questions I ask, I am OCD and sometimes need an answere beaten into me haha

2. robber

robber
    from Colorado

Try out the social group: 283-350 Chevys:) There are a lot of pictures there. I have a few there myself;)

3. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

The 283 is a good choice for a mill. The 283/327 are real high winding, torquey motors. For the tranny question, I think you may run into issues trying to mate that 51 3-speed with the 283. Your chevy 3-speed is probably a Saginaw, and that is not a bad tranny. I had a 63' Corvette 327 in my last truck with a Saginaw 3-speed and it ran out real good. You could always paint the block blue, run Mooneyes finned valve covers and finned air cleaner for a vintage look. For the carbie, it all depends on the type of driving you will be doing. You could go with a basic Holley dual-plane intake and Dominator carb, or go more vintage with an Offy intake and dual 97s. For the last part, a Maverick 8-inch is a good diff but they are getting pricey. I bought mine last fall for about $180.

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I guess some OEM engine color could be cool,so it looked like its put in there in 1950's.
    I guess thats the traditional way to paint it..
    I could need a maverick rear axle too.I have a granada rear axle,but i think mavericks will be better choice.One friend of mine is in the LA at the moment,i think i'll hire him to bring me one if i couldnt find anything from here.Yes,we have US made cars in here,but some reason the mavericks are rare in this country.

5. msalamanca

msalamanca

Finnrodder, I live in Orange County, the guy that I talked to (Lives in LA) has maybe two. I can call him today, but he wants 300 for each.
    I was seeing them for 150 6 months ago.

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland