Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sloppymotor, Feb 14, 2011.

1. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Just wanna say thanks for all the help so far.... could someone please anwser me this...... just got my 54 buick... its been sitting for years... but runs great... should I.... drain trans...and replace fluid....also the gas tank... do those conditioning/relinning kits work well??... can the generator be tested like an altinator to see if it works???.... also... my choke keeps sticking open...any thoughts on that????.... one last thing.... the brakes are out.... i think im gonna buy a complete brake kit.... 4wheel cly. master cyl..shoes...hoses...and springs... good idea... or NO...???? thanks fro all the sapport fellas.........

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Step 1, get the brakes working. Step 2, get the steering 100%. If you can't stop or turn reliably, you'll end up trying to find replacement body parts.

Case in point:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  3. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

good point... yeah its not movin till i put brakes... new tires...and lower it...as well as a serious tune up...

4. A Duece Bruce

A Duece Bruce

Hi, Congrats on your scoreing the Buick. Welcome to the fun world of restoration! I think you should do ALL your regular maintenance stuff. Who knows how long the fluids have been in there. Change everything. Write down the mileage, so you know when to do it next.Grease the wheel bearings while you check out the brakes. Buying everything for the brakes is great if you can afford it, otherwise get what you need to be safe. Some of that stuff may be good. If the gas tank is holding, I would put a new gas filter on and watch what it traps. Shake it out and see if it has much rust in it. Your tank may be ok. They use that liner stuff in old airplanes, I used it for a motorcycle tank once.
    It worked. But, I would get a new or better tank if you need it. You can unhook a bat. post and the Gen should keep the engine running if it's working. Check the choke linkage. Somebody may know about your carb, may have an auto choke
    mechanism that needs attention. You can do it! It's all fun when you think about it, especially when you drive it. Geeteer Duunn!

5. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

thanks for the info... bruce