Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some advice..rookie question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nixer, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Yeah,

Far be it from me to be an expert on anything except parts. But I got my 50 merc in my garage and cut the trunk floor and outer rockers off. The floor in this car and basically the entire lower level needs to be cut out and replaced. The areas by the front and rear of the rocker panels are rusted away on both sides so that is a major issue as well as body mounts and some floor areas.

My question is, what do you do first?
    Brace the entire car and then start from the middle and work out?
    Start on the front and work back or back to front?
    Cut everything out first?

I'm not afraid to tear into this thing just that I haven't seen or experienced enough to know where to start and I am not considering the ever famous chassis swap.

Thanks for any input

Tokyo

2. NoSurf

NoSurf

Well- I don't know jack shit. BUT-

I would think of the car as a box. You have some strength left cross the A pillar line and the tailpan. Sounds like the B and C pillar areas are gone across the floor? I would replace across the B pillar first and get the body stiffer.

i would also ask tinbender how they did that '64 impala.

3. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

start with the back and work forward. when you do the rockers make sure the doors are fit and have nice gaps. do not be afraid to cut more out then needed.