Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some advice about a Ford project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doppleganger, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Doppleganger

Doppleganger
    BANNED
    from ...

I have no ideas if this is in the right forum, so if there's an answer to this, hopefully it will get posted/read before someone chaffs and has it deleted.

My brother is looking at a toy-project. He's got his eye on this '57 Fairlane. Its had some work done but looks to need about everything. Seems steep to me for the shape its in, but maybe not?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/4285168694.html

Is it worth fixing up? Many of these I know you can dump $20k into and have a car worth $12k.

Thanks in advance.

2. little skeet

little skeet
    from huston

I was at the Russo and Steele car auction in Scottsdale on Thursday. You could buy good finished cars for $15,000.00 to $18,000.00. Doubt if you could fix this $5000.00 car up for less that what you can buy one already done!
    Good Luck

"Wasn't anybody there except me and Little Skeet!'

3. Looks kinda rough,my rule of thumb is buy the best body you can afford,,body work ain't cheap even if you are doing it yourself. HRP

4. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

sound advice!!! I hate doing body work!!

5. Guys ad is worded heavily sentimental and reflects on the price.
    Then he goes on to say he don't need it or want it and hopes he doesn't have to crush it.
    IMO - too much for what's there and seller knows this. Offer accordingly

6. I sold one pretty much like that about two or three years ago only without the engine and needing a rear quarter for $600 so I think you can do a lot better on the price.

7. Doppleganger

Doppleganger
    BANNED
    from ...

Thanks fellas. I couldn't agree more with all of you.

Don't think I could part with a classic my grandpa bought new almost 60 yrs ago. Was kind of wondering what the newer motor did to the value?

$800-1500 is about what I thought it was worth.

8. Having built a car that was bought new by my wife's grandmother that had deteriorated to the point where I was the only person dumb enough to sink the time & money into bringing it back to life I have a hard time understanding the guys mentality,,he has sentimental ties which is evident in the pricing but he will unload it if the price is right. HRP

9. Ole don

Ole don

I think the car should be saved. The parts that go along with it are hard to find. The body work is not for an amateur though. Years of hard work there. Your estimate of value is right on. If not for the FE engine, parts, and two four speeds, this is a 400 dollar car.

10. teejay99

teejay99

I was going to suggest a grand but may be optimistic because I'm a Ford guy . Looks like someone got in way over there head in the past . If he wants 5 G's , he's been watching too much B.J.

T

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The motor is cool and has a 4 speed and 9 incher behind it, so that is worth something. It is also a two door and you don't see many 57' s because they rusted away (like this one is doing).

It is going to take a lot of patch panels and work, but if I had to say what I would pay, I think $ 1500 to $ 2000 tops.

Don

12. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

There's a 3-deuce manifold with Holleys too. I saw this ad when it first came out and thought it was worth about $2000 with all that stuff listed. If a firm offer is made for that amount, while pointing out the trouble of parting it all out, it may do the trick. More than that I would pass unless you love 57 Fords beyond reason.

13. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Run away, don't walk. That thing is a money pit. Ive been looking for one too but I wouldn't touch that. In 65 I had a 57 custom 300 with a 427 in it

14. Newbedonnie

Newbedonnie
    from SC

Interesting that they don't show any underbody shots (i.e. floorpans). Also, could just be me but anytime someone says they don't want it to go to the junker then that's actually just about where it's going to go. Offer them $1500...I bet they'll take it.

15. Newbedonnie

Newbedonnie
    from SC

You know the underbody is going to be a clusterf*ck...

16. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

I've got to agree with HRP. I bought a '54 Ford Club Coupe for $1000.00 and turned it over to my body and paint guy. It had some body rot around the left rear wheel well, door sills and lower trunk area. It's been there 2 years, isn't painted yet and I have enough money in it right now where I could have bought a decent driver and been enjoying it.

17. The tri-power FE/4-speed/9" is worth more than a few bucks, and if he has all the OEM trim in good shape that's worth something too. I'll agree, $5K is too high, but at somewhere between $1-2K if it's complete would probably be a fair price.

18. Doppleganger

Doppleganger
    BANNED
    from ...

I was told by a buddy of mine (who was a Ford freak years ago) that the carbs and intakes were worth a good amount to a Ford guy.

I'm in a toss up with it. If it came to the point that my brother hit his head hard enough and thought he had to have it, I'd wait a little while until its sitting there and he realizes his asking price is in Japanese Yen and not USD's - then make him an offer. $1000-1500 I think is all I'd risk. With the cost of transporting it back, worse case scenario it could be parted and the funds recovered.

19. it could go both ways it dont look that hatefull for 57 lover but what will the frame look like ? I like the 4 speed and the hard to find parts are there it could be a bust or a builder if the frames good find anothr hardtop 4 speed car for 5000$