Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Shop in Tulsa Area to Fix Steering on '60 Bel Air

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CathyH, Oct 16, 2005.

1. CathyH

CathyH

I had power steering put in my '60 Bel Air and it has never worked correctly. I took it back to the shop that originally put it in and they said they would have the gearbox rebuilt. When I picked it up--they said they had the pump rebuilt, so I'm not sure which really got rebuilt. Anyway, the steering has been worse than ever, since I got it back. Can anyone recommend a shop located in Oklahoma around either the Tulsa, Broken Arrow, Coweta, Sapulpa, or Glenpool area where I can get this fixed once and for all. I'm NOT taking it back to the shop where I originally had it put in. Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Olson

Olson

Well that sucks! That car's too cool to be gettin' messed with like that.

Good luck.

Olson

3. parkwood60

parkwood60

I'm just curious whether you have the original power steering, which they used 58-64 full sized, -82 Corvette, and 62-67 Chevy II, or whether you have a late model set up using a steering box from another car? I don't have a shop to recomend, but if I knew which system you were using I might be able to suggest what is wrong with it. The original Chevy system had a normal looking pump (attached to the back of the generator on early cars), hooked to a hydraulic ram, and a control valve on one end of the steering linkage. The later one has just a pump and a box and two hoses connecting them.

Almost all the parts for the early system swap between cars(Bel Air, Corvette, Chevy II), if I remember correctly, and are still available rebuilt from most parts shops.

4. CathyH

CathyH

I have a later setup, which was made for an S10. It does seem to become slightly easier to steer after I've been driving it a while and the RPM's increase. Thanks for the response! CathyH