Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need Recommendations For Ideal Mufflers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gilbybarr, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Gilbybarr

Gilbybarr

We are making progress on the '34 Ford High Boy build....time to pick a muffler system. We are using a 350 SBC crate motor, nothing fancy or exotic with 700R4 trans. Fiberglass body. I don't need and don't want loud....I'd prefer just a nice mellow performance tone and I'd like to avoid a lot of highway drone. For fit and space, we'd like avoid larger turbo style oval muffler systems. Based on your real world experiences, what would the best round (generally round anyway) type muffler be? At one point I was thinking Hushpower, but the internet seems to indicate that these are noisy. Actually, it seems very hard to get any actual trustworthy info or suggestions from all the videos and tests on the internet. So, what does the real world of users think? Thanks in advance for your input. (Pic below is from early February.....frame is now the focus).

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

firstinsteele and jimmy six like this.
  3. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

I like Porter mufflers. Check out some of there UTube videos. No highway drone and nice mellow sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jaracer likes this.
  4. SS327

SS327

I like the tone of regular old cherry bombs the longest they make with 2 1/2” inlet and outlet. Sound good going down the highway behind a mild sb and no annoying drone.

AHotRod likes this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another vote for the Porters. I plan to put a pair on my 48.
    Truthfully I like my hotrods or customs to sound like what I remember from the 50's and 60's when they all ran glass packs an not like a 70's super car with turbos on it.

6. Mufflers are over rated

Maicobreako likes this.
  7. Running Smithies on mine. 2 1/2 out the back.

Ben

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

as you know, there is not one perfect muffler for every ride - like paint colors, there is not one color that is best for every car - this is because everyone has their own idea what is best - unless you are going with a polished stainless steel system, at some point bite the bullet and install a system - can be changed but, if not perfect - back to drawing (sound) board

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

squirrel and Bandit Billy like this.
  9. wicarnut

wicarnut

From experience to avoid the drone, run tail pipes all the way to back of car

bbmach likes this.
  10. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

11. TCATTC

TCATTC

Jones Turbo Tubes

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  12. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

The Dynomax Super Turbo #17749.. Its a 2-1/2" in and out. If you were to look inside each muffler you would see why these are so popular. Every turn has a smooth transition into the next straight away... The Walker Dynomax is the only muffler with these.. What's nice is every turn has them and they seem to get better and better. I wish you to hear the ones on my car after 2000 miles or so...

13. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I am using Vibrant SS oval mufflers with Vibrant SS tube resonators, the car has a deep muscle tone and no drone at speed. I prefer the oval shape of the muffler.