Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need pictures and info on the mid 50s Buick hoods that lifted from both sides

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50dodge4x4, Jan 30, 2012.

1. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Hey guys, I'm looking for info and pictures of how the hood hinges and latches were set up on the mid 50s Buick where the hood could open from either side.

My project 48 Plymouth had rotted out cowl tops where the hinges bolted to, the hood is also rotted out where the hinges are bolted, and my hinges were both froze up. Rather then deal with the Plymouth stuff, I think the side lift hood might be neat, so I'm looking to find out if I can make my own version of the Buick hood set up on my Plymouth.

Figured this was the place to get this info. Gene

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

The hood hinges and latches were one in the same. There was a pull release on each side, one near the drivers left knee and the other near the passengers right knee under the dash.

Might be helpful to get the whole mechanism from a donor Buick!

3. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Finding a Buick of that era around here would be nearly impossible, and the hood hinge assembly would cost way more then I have to spend. I'm kinda handy with a torch and a welder and could probably make my own, if I knew what they looked like. Its been many years since I've even seen one, and then I really wasn't looking at how it was done. I have more time then money. Gene