Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need photos and info on Widened '26-'27 T Roadsters.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard D, Dec 16, 2009.

1. I got the doors mocked up on the T Bag, and this thing's too small! I want to widen it maybe 6".
    Here's a shot of Wayne Kleb's "Satan's Chariot", widened 8". What else ya got?
    [​IMG]

2. Douglas B.

Douglas B.

Probably not EXACTLY what you were looking for, but here is mine. (First "T" I have ever built.)

--Douglas

Attached Files:

3. How much did you widen it? What kind of steering are you running?

4. beatnik

beatnik

It won't look right, besides if aint wide enough for you wait until you try to put a seat and some pedals in it and you relize you need a few more inches to make it comfortable.

Shadow Rods Big T is 3" taller, 2" wider, and has 4" longer doors and most people don't think it looks rite, although I think the rite person could pull off a pretty bitchen build with it. It's the only T-Roadster I've sat in that feels like you could drive it cross country without being in pain at the end of the trip.

Attached Files:

5. beatnik

beatnik

This one is a stock body but by sitting it on 32 frame with a dropped floor it's actually not bad for comfort.

I love T-Roadsters but it's hard to pull off a T and still have some kind of comfort. I think trying to pull off a unibody like metalshape's roadster might be another way to make it happen.

Attached Files:

6. Mine will be chanelled. There is no room for my feet, and the steering column will hit the small chevy. Going for a '60s show rod look. Wayne's looks great in my opinion, I have several old mags with photos, doesn't look out of proportion to me. I just want to see a few others that have been widened.

7. kisam

kisam

Even with a channeled car, why couldn't you still do this? I think it's a great idea.
    [​IMG]

8. I will be dropping the floor back down between the rails, but there is barely room to put my feet next to each other with the trans in there, and there is still no trans tunnel or kickpanels. The F1 steering column is hitting the engine block and kicking out at an angle, an even bigger problem.

9. alchemy

alchemy

Widening is just wrong. Those things look best narrowed. If you want comfort, you should build something big, like a '29 roadster.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

The cowl is the biggest thing that kills it for me, it looks like they tried to use an a gas tank up there

11. Here is my problem:
    The F-1 steering box and column is hitting the engine block.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My feet are touching the sides of the cowl, each other, and the trans. There are no kickpanels or trans hump even on here yet, not to mention the frame rail will be right where my left foot is now.
    [​IMG]

12. kisam

kisam

Cowl Steering Baby.
    Yeah, but you'll have more room with flip flops!
    [​IMG]

13. I decided I don't want to do cowl steering, so I traded all the parts to do it with for the Hemi. Not asking to be talked out of widening my car, just want to see pictures of others who have done so. I have seen many shots of Wayne's cars in various magazines, I think it looks great, not at all out of proportion, I even considered cloning it.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  14. TomH

TomH

I narrowed mine 4" and have 3 pedals. That's why I went with cowl steering. You may have to get those parts back.

Attached Files:

15. Very cool, just not what I'm going for, I'm doing a 60s show rod thing.

16. GuyW

GuyW

Yes (consider this another informational data point)

17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

go 3 or 4 spd they are narrower, or if you have to go auto, just hang the other foot outside next to the windshield, after all you'd only need one to drive it anyway

Or plan b, just trailer it, it's not like that motor is gunna run anyway :)

18. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

My car (ava) is channeled, has the firewall set back, and has overstuffed upholstery (thanks, 1960s). There is not a lot of room inside. I relo'd the accelerator to the right side of the hump and I usually drive it by sitting on the passenger's side and reaching across. The driving position is still all elbows and knees. Thank god it at least is an open car.

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

Hey Richard D... I've got a rough touring cowl, that has the firewall removed, let me know if you need a sliver out of it... I'd let it go cheap!!:D

20. why not just ditch the F1 and put a corvair box and some u-joints in it?

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm not getting a good feeling on how the radiator shell is going to look. Slim in in.

22. How about one of those chaindrive-thru-the-firewall steering setups?

23. That's strictly streetrod stuff! I think we can make everything fit without widening.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  24. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

I have a very narrow and tapered cowl with side Corvair steering. I wear small shoes and have a simple column shift for a TH350. Steering column is just a 3/4" rod. Small gas pedal cable centered and partially up on the trans hump, swing Wilwood brake pedal and it all generall fits. Seat back is sculpted but I basically have 1/2" before the back of the car and maybe a little more off the floor. The seat is "tilted" a bit and it gives the feeling of more room. You could also make a cable TH350 shifter off the dash. Those "Italian" import loafers are great shoes for fittng and a big improvement over tennis shoes.
    At 6'2" it is real tight and two can't fit if either one is wearing a jacket. On the plus side I tell women the smallnes of the car means they can ride only if they have a skirt on. No one questioned it yet.

25. Phil1934

Phil1934

You are going to need a 13" wheel to move steering out. You can drag left foot back, but note left knee and steering wheel now conflict so raise wheel.

26. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Wow, excellent point I forgot. The 13" wheel and longer column really helped comfort.

27. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Widened mine 3" through the middle of the cowl to fit the '32 frame. 3 pedals and reasonably comfortable to drive. Sorry alchemy... I got Model A width with Model T looks and it seems like nobody even notices until I tell em.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

nailhead ,that thing looks great! great proportions.

29. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Thank you, sir. I appreciate the kind words.

30. beatnik

beatnik

nailheadroadster, I like that idea a lot.

So you added 3" only at the cowl and left the back of the body as it was?