Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need opinions and advice from the flathead guys

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Coupe Deluxe, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Coupe Deluxe

Coupe Deluxe

I inherited the 40 Ford in my avitar from Dad. He purchased it from a local car lot and did'nt own it long or drive it much before he passed away. I have no "history" on it at all. It has obviously had some restoration at some point, just how thourogh or how long and many miles ago I don't know. The car had some minor issues when I got it which have mostly been adressed. This is a sweet little stocker that runs and drives like a dream. I have no worries taking it out on the interstate for a couple hundred mile road trip.
    Here's my dilema: I'm a Hamber more than a Ford Barn type. Although I've made a few minor changes such as a set of Posies springs front and rear, headers and duals, and a few chrome goodies under the hood and OMG:eek: a set of radials:eek: the car is still a little too stock for me but I really don't want to mess it up too bad. So far everything that I've done could be undone easily.
    Although I'm pretty good with a set of tools, I am not an engine builder and most of my experience is with SBC's and Ford 390's anyway. I'm sure some here would disagree, but I wouldn't have a problem putting some reworked heads and an after market intake and more carbuerator on a good running high mile SBC, in fact I've had good luck with that in the past. What about this flathead? Would a couple of 97's on an Edmunds intake be too much carb for a stocker? What about a set of Offy heads? Admittedly, this is more about the "look" but I would expect it to perform at least as well as it does now which is almost flawless. Sorry for the over long post but any advice or opinions would be most welcome. I'll save the I need it lower with wider tires post for later.

2. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Dual carbs and aluminum heads sounds perfect to me! But it will never run right with the radials on it!!:D

3. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

From my limited flathead knowledge, one of the best things you can do is make sure you have good ignition. Heads without a cam change will not be a huge help from what little I know. Just please don't throw a SBC in there. I love them, they are great motors, but on that car I just couldn't do it. If you have to upgrade go with Y-block.

4. woodypecker

woodypecker

Definately two carburetors and whatever you like that looks good to you.

5. Coupe Deluxe

Coupe Deluxe

The flathead most definitely stays. Anyone else want chime in regarding ignition?

6. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Hows the compression? It sounds like you have a great running flathead. Maybe don't fix it if it is not broken. But if your looking for more then, go for it.

7. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Here's the flathead in my '40. Offenhauser heads and intake, Holley 390 4 bbl, Fenton headers, and Columbia OD. It's still 6v positive ground. I ran a Pertronix ignition for a few years until it died and have since gone back to the original dual point distributor, which runs just fine and also allowed me to hook up a vintage Sun "Football" tach. With Brockman mufflers and Echo cans, it sounds and "runs out real good," as they used to say.

[​IMG]

8. Coupe Deluxe

Coupe Deluxe

I haven't done a compression test. Honestly hadn't even thought about it, it runs so good. Good point though and I will. I'm pretty much from the "if it aint broke" school as well. That's why I don't want to get too crazy splittin' the bones and what not. Just a little touch of Hot Rod is what I'm after.

9. Coupe Deluxe

Coupe Deluxe

10. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Don't know the history of the engine as it was rebuilt by a previous owner.

11. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thats a beautifull 40! I'd give it an altitude adjustment and drive the hell out of it. I have 2 cars with Flatties and my biggest concern was highway speed/RPMs if it runs nice maybe just dress it up a bit. Again Really nice looking 40

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  12. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

For a little more performance with a stock motor, I would go with either the 4 barrel manifold and a Holley 390 cfm carburator or pick your favorite 2 X 2 manifold. Next thing on the list would be set of headers. I have Red's. Aluminum heads are probably as much eye candy as performance.

I had a stock 8BA with the 4 barrel Holley and headers. It ran well.

Neal

13. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

If you have the heads and intake/carbs, then you could bolt it on. Always go back to the original stuff if you like.

Some aluminum heads require replacing the shorter head studs to the longer head studs.

14. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Some may argue that headers increase sound not performance. But you have them already.

15. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Heres my 40 still all stock with a Mitchel Overdrive makes it a great driver still has the six volt elect

Attached Files:

16. Coupe Deluxe

Coupe Deluxe

That is exactly what I am looking to do! Already did the posie's and headers, hoping for a little less altitude with some 15 inch chrome reverse wheels and some big & littles. I am still running six volt and will probably leave it that way.

17. flathead okie

flathead okie

Just put the fancy chrome acorn nut covers on the heads and change the intake to dual carbs with finned air cleaners and it'll look good with out haveing to change the headbolts.

18. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Many of us would love to have a problem like yours. Gee what do I do with a gorgeous
    '40 convert.......

19. Coupe Deluxe

Coupe Deluxe

Yeah I've also read that removing the studs can be tricky. Any experience with that?

20. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

They can break and then you'll be in for some real fun. Soak them for a while with something like pm blaster. I've used the double nut way of removing them.

You could just say they're milled heads! just kidding don't lie.

Nothing uncool about stock looking heads in my opinion.

21. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Bet your Dad is smilin'.

22. Coupe Deluxe

Coupe Deluxe

[​IMG]I KNOW he is.....

23. Greezeball

Greezeball

An overdrive will give you better drivability over any engine mods IMO. That being said I had a 52 Meteor with a flatty with dual carbs, exhaust and a well set up ignition. I think it had a mild cam though cause it had a nice rumpity rump idol.

24. 2935ford

2935ford

May I suggest you get John W. Lawson's "Flathead Facts" before you do anything to it.
    He has a pile of real info on things that work and don't work with flatheads and he backs it up with dyno numbers. May surprise you about a lot of things we just took for granted cause everyone was doing it but were never sure if it made things "better".

Just MHO!

25. Coupe Deluxe

Coupe Deluxe

Overdrive is definitely on my "to do" list. That will probably be a next winter project. For now, the car will do 60 mph smoothly on the stock 16" wheels. A set of fifteens could change that. It is not equipped with a tach but doesn't seem to work too hard on the freeway.

26. Coupe Deluxe

Coupe Deluxe

That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about! My current "Bible" is Tex Smith's The Complete Ford Flathead V8 Engine Manual. It is mostly about building engines though, and has left me with more questions than answers. There is a whole chapter regarding CFM's, volumetric efficiency etc. This seems to say that two 97's might be too much carb for my engine. A couple 81's might be a little better fit at least the way I'm understanding it. Again, this is more about the "look" but I certainly don't want my performance to suffer. Real world experience and advice would be helpful. Or maybe someone can "dumb this down" for me a little.

27. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

JWL's book is a must have.

Some maybe surprised that the fordbarn has a lot of guys that have flathead mods and have been flathead roundy-round guys. Lot's of experience.

28. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

NICE 40. My dad has a sedan with stock tranny and rearend but it has a 350 it runs good up to 60-65 then it starts turning up the rpms. you would benefit with overdrive.(colombia 2speed) I have a 4barrel offey intake and carb adapter if you want to go that route. Was going to use it on one of my cars but never used it.

29. big bad john

big bad john

......You have a great looking car......just dress up the motor and drive it...you can always change it later if you don;t like it.....just to let you know...a lot of guys change back to a flathead after they have a sbc or sbf motors.....just have fun with it and enjoy

30. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

If you are doing this for driveability,leave the heads as is. You will gain a little with carb change. If for looks go 2x2, for long term driveability go 4 bbl. Check to find out what engine you have. From 1940 there were a lot of engine changes 221,239,255. 21A,59AB ,8BA. 4 bbl.sets better on 8BA than 59AB. You'll gain more from GOOD ignition than BAD carbs. JMO.