Register now to get rid of these ads!

need old Radir(?) wheel hardware

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doug F., Nov 5, 2006.

1. Doug F.

Doug F.

I have a set of vintage five-spoke mags that have aluminum centers and steel rims. They look just like Radirs but are marked "Sears & Roebuck" on the backside. I want to install them on my T-bird but I can't find washers that fit in the machined recess. The washers carried by todays lugnut vendors are too large in diameter. Has anyone else encountered this? Has anyone else solved the problem? Do I need to have the recesses machined to a larger size?

2. Kurt

Kurt

I had the same problem. Get stainless steel washers and stack them together 5 at a time on a mandrel just big enough for them to slip on nice and snug. Now mount the mandrel in a metal lathe and turn down your washers to the correct size. Done several sets like this and works fine.

3. wheelbarrowsgarage

wheelbarrowsgarage
    BANNED
    from Missiry

Had the same problem myself, haven't totally fixed it yet. I found a 1/8 thick 5/8id 7/8 od washer that I thought would work. Looks like I am gonna have to open the whole up just a little cause they won't fit the lugs. I ordered them from a big hardware supplier but can't think of the name right now. They were not to expensive and you could get the same thing in stainless for about twice as much, I think it was like 20 bucks for the stainless ones.

4. ray

ray
    from colorado

i've run into the same thing, i just run the washers that the guys that sell the bullet lug nuts sell, the really thick ones that are a larger diameter than the spot faces on the wheels. never had a problem.

5. wheelbarrowsgarage

wheelbarrowsgarage
    BANNED
    from Missiry

Hey, I looked and they came from Mc Master Carr, check their website for em.

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I found some Autozone right on the shelf, worked fine.