Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Insurance help in New York State....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RacerRick, Feb 13, 2009.

1. RacerRick

RacerRick

Does anyone know how I could get insurance in New York state, even though I am not a citizen?

All I need to get a car I have bought a transferable registration is New York state insurance. This has been a 8 month fight with the DMV and all I need now is the insurance.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

?????

Not sure what you are trying to do. Are you trying to get a car with no registration from NYS , registered in Canada ?

To get a NYS registration, you do need proof of insurance. To get insurance for a NYS registration, I pretty sure you need to be a NYS resident. Your best bet, IMHO, would be to have a trusted friend that lives in NYS obtain a valid registration and then transfer it to you.

3. RacerRick

RacerRick

The DMV has a documented procedure for out of state people to get registrations for pre-73 cars.

There is a lot of hoops to jump through, and the last one is NYS insurance. The fuckers don't recognize insurance from anywhere else, even if its has coverage in NYS.

If the case is that you must be a resident of NYS to get insurance that they accept there, then there entire procedure is impossible and they have been screwing me around for about 8 monthes.

This is on top of the US side of the boarder telling me one thing, then changing their mind when I made arrangements to get the car over the boarder.

Everytime I talk to the NYS DMV I get a different answer.

All the paperwork is signed to me. Makes it hard for anyone else to register the car.

4. Is it worthwhile to hire a transport company to pick up your car and deliver it to your in Toronto ? The right transport company should have the answers . Someone else must have skinned the cat before .

5. Exactly ....
    Get a Bill of Lading from a transport company showing you had the car transported from New York to ?
    Usually you can avoid paying sales tax - vehicle license tax - registration if you provide proof you have trailered the vehicle (even if it is roadworthy)

Jim

6. RacerRick

RacerRick

US customs will not let the car go over the boarder without documentation of ownership.

Because the car is from new york state and is pre-73, the do not issue it a title. The only NYS documentation of ownership the boarder will accept is a NYS Transferable Registration. To get a NYS registration, you need NYS insurance.

That is where I am stuck now. 4 different places I called all said that I need a NYS drivers licence to get NYS insurance, which makes no sense to me. What if I don't drive and want to insure my car?

7. swsimon

swsimon

NYS used to issue transferable registrations in the new owners name without issuing license plates so that no insurance was needed. This was done so that you could get the vehicle in your name to prove ownership but not put it on the street. I do not know if they still do this as it has been some years since i've done this. You might want to ask the DMV if they still do this. Good luck. Scott

8. This is good information to share with fellow HAMBers about buying a vehicle from New York State.
    You don't mention how you did the deal - whether it was a HAMB transaction or not :confused:
    If you really want this car ........
    It would seem the easiest thing might be to have the registration transfer go to someone you know in another state that you first check out has US Custom friendly ownership documentation for Canadians ;)and then have that person sell it to you ....
    Or if you have understanding Seller - you can perhaps not go thru with this transaction because 'going by the books' you legally cannot import this particular vehicle into Canada :(

Jim

9. This may explain why a customer of mine that sold a Barracuda to a guy in Canada was asked to deliver the car to the buyer. His mistake was at the border. He had to declare the value of the auto to the border agent. The buyer suggested he tell them the car value and sale price was a couple of thousand dollars instead of the $30k they agreed to. The agents have a computer and check car values at the crossing and subsequently threw him in jail and fined him several thousand dollars. It took a couple of days to straighten out that mess and I believe he cannot enter Canada or has some kind of restriction on his visa now.
    I guess getting a car over the north border is much more difficult than over the southern border.

10. RacerRick

RacerRick

I have brought cars over before from Michigan and PA and never had a problem. This seems to be a NYS issue. If I can get insurance, I would be able to get a new york registration.

They do not issue a title on pre 73' cars in NY, the only document of ownership you can get is the Registration.

The car doesn't have any registration history in NYS and the owner has been working with me. This has been ongoing for a while now and I am getting seriously frustrated about the entire thing.