Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need info on some sheetmetal fabrication equipment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blownolds, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Hi all-- I could use some input on what's out there in the way of these types of sheetmetal fabrication equipment, for making smaller stuff (under 3 feet in length). Brand names are all I need, I can do the rest of the research. I prefer industrial quality rather than hobby quality, but go ahead and give me all the brand names you think worth checking out, and any other comments you may have:
    --shear (either foot or power operated)
    --brake (press, pan, box, etc.)
    --louvering

Thank you in advance!! (PS... right now I can only check the internet maybe 1x per week, so if you have any questions for me, please bear with my delayed response...)

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

For shears, Pexto, Niagra, Wysong are all quality brands.
    Sheet metal Brakes, Pexto, Chicago, Connecticut.

3. What's your budget? Industrial quality will cost 3X as much as 'hobby', and dedicated tools will be more than 'all-in-one' versions. And for 3' lengths and under, some of the better-built 'hobby' machines will be nearly equal.

4. Woodward Fab sells a pretty good selection of sheet metal equip
    Mittler Brothers has some nice stuff as well.

5. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

6. gatz

gatz

off-topic; but was trying to start a "conversation" re
    Early Chrysler hemi parts that you posted on Parts for Sale forum
    the HAMB reports an error;
    You may not start a conversation with Blownolds because of his or her privacy settings.

Is there something not set right to enable conversations?

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old and used usually don't mean bad when it comes to sheet metal fab equipment. The brands Marty posted in Post 2 can often be found used in good shape with a bit of hunting. Some of the equipment may be a bit larger than you planned on but quality equipment usually tends to make a process simpler than the bargain equipment.

8. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg My score , only $500 both ,keep looking they are out there . Bought for scrap value . The brake is pan as well as regular . Good luck . Blue

falcongeorge and jbrittonjr like this.
  9. Scrap value ?
    I hauled 2700 lbs last week-
    2500 lbs iron and 200 lbs aluminum.
    $142.00

10. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Thanks for all the input, guys! Was aware of Pexto (old Peck, Stow, & Wilcox), Niagara, and Mittler-- but not the others. Very much appreciate the input!

Kinda agree on the scrap price thing... recently hauled in 440 Lbs. of steel and only got $17 to cover the gas.... won't be repeating that again. BUT just a couple years ago it was 11 cents/lb for ferrous.... and I hate to think of all the antique industrial stuff that has gotten scrapped over the last 20 short years....

Anyhoo, I definitely appreciate the input. Any other suggestions for worthwhile brand names? Stuff I could use for production of steel boxes? Any special names of types of brakes, like box, pan, finger, etc?
    What about for louvering steel? A long time ago I knew of some names, but just can't remember anything any more outside of Pullmax machines with louvering dies... been out of the loop on that for too many years now!
    Thanks, guys.

11. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Just saw this... I don't have any early hemi parts anymore, at least not that I can think of offhand. Sorry!
    Also, I never use the PM's or other features of this site... I just use my e-mail to communicate with folks.

12. oj

oj

I have this exact same brake, it's a Whitney rated for 14ga and I've bent 1/8" plate in it.
    [​IMG]

13. One of the best places to look for equipment like this is surplus sales at schools that are cleaning out their shop programs - or updating. You can sign up for sales in your area at PublicSurplus.com (or something like that) - some amazing stuff out there, or you can keep an eye out for sales in your local paper.

14. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Would that be Roper Whitney??

JOYFLEA likes this.
  15. indyjps

indyjps

nmpontiac is right. Check industrial auctions in your area. I've scored a lot of industrial equipment very inexpensively, watch for 3 phase unless youre comfortable doing converter boxes.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  16. Yes it is .

17. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Older stuff is Whitney. Newer is Roper Whitney. Same company although the older brakes like in the pic are much more robust than the newer Roper Whitney ones. I've got a 4 ft R-W 16ga box brake, bought new in the 90's, and for regular use you wouldn't want to bend 4 ft of anything heavier than 20 ga.

Tennsmith hasn't been mentioned, but they make good leaf brakes that will handle their rated capacity on a regular basis.

Wysong foot shears are built massively heavy as compared to most other foot shears, and are highly adaptable to adding a couple hydraulic cylinders and a power unit to convert to power operation if you're cutting a lot of 16 and 18 gage sheet and decide the stomping is killing your ankles and knees. Foot shears are especially rough on ankles if you're well past teenage years.

Niagara made a 14ga mechanical power shear that can be found at auctions sometimes for $2000 - $2500 in good shape. Usually 5ft or 6ft width of cut. One of the best small power shears ever made.

Regardless of which shear you buy, try to get one with a backgauge on it. They're a major timesaver, and not something that's easy to rig up on a shear that doesn't have one.

The blades in most shears have 4 edges. Remove and turn to a new set of edges when they get dull. Sharp blades set to the correct clearance are good for tens of thousands of cuts in mild steel or aluminum. If all 4 sets of edges in a used shear are dull then the cost of new blades or regrinding should be taken into account when making an offer.

18. My bad . My brake is a Whitney- Jenson . Built in 1939 and sent to China for the war . Brought back to US in 1949 . Shear was there also . Man I got them from bought them in 1950 . My foot shear cuts 18 ga. With one good kick , I'm almost 67 but weigh 200 . If I'm cutting 16 or 14 ga. I get the wife to help . Would love to put a ram on it . I have sharpened the blades and will rebuild both this winter after I get my COE running

19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Joey, That's some great equipment you have there ! I have the 8' version of your brake, over the last 25 years I have built radius bending tooling for it, using round tube and flat-bar. This is a 5.5" tube, and my tooling ranges down to 1/2". It's a simple task, and really expands the variety of work you can do, especially being a leaf and finger brake as well. IMG_4201.JPG IMG_4203.JPG

oj, JOYFLEA and metlmunchr like this.
  20. Marty, going to try and build some tooling tomorrow and try that radius work . Did you just weld a plate on the bottom of tube ? Then slide top blade back even with angle support. I had heard I could do that . Thanks , Blue .

21. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

DiAcro is excellent equipment and they are still in business today and are super nice people. They sent me the operators manual for my shear, my id tag was missing so I found out who made it by looking at pictures on the internet.

22. oj

oj

The tag says 'Whitney Metal Tool Co, Rockford Ill' specs are 4'; 14ga; Serial #315. I'm careful with mine as a casting has broke and been repaired over the years, I wouldn't try to bend a full 4' 14ga piece in it - I wouldn't have the strength anyway, damn! Like Marty I have a collection of radius pieces for it.

23. OJ , did you build your radius dies and if could you show some photos of back side ?

24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Joey,
    This is what I do, just make sure the welds are ground flush, or it will transfer dents in the work piece. Here are a couple of examples, building the front panel for the Grumman box and "dog house" on my Cabover Ford. IMG_4984.JPG IMG_5708.JPG IMG_6232.JPG IMG_6233.JPG IMG_6236.JPG

falcongeorge likes this.
  25. Marty , thanks for the info . Do you have a tread on your Coe ?, lm building one also . Don't know who Joey is . Blue

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Blue, I somehow added an "E" to your title, and came up with that, however you will be Blue from now on ! I don't have a thread on my truck, it's on a '79 E-350 bread truck chassis and box, and wouldn't pass muster as traditional enough. I sometimes, show aspects of the build that fit a topic of conversation though. Good luck with your tooling, and projects.

27. oj

oj

You gotta excuse Marty, he's been known to address some people as 'Sir' and everything! Nothing wrong with his fabrication skills tho. And, I make my dies just like Marty did. It's actually harder than it looks.

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The one think I left out, was the need for a wide angle iron on the lower die (notice in my first post), it makes it easier to wrap the sheet metal around the tube. I generally cover it with duct tape, so as not to scratch the work piece in the bending process. OJ, I didn't know you had one of those machines, they are rare, I met a guy that has a 10' version, and am envious !

JOYFLEA likes this.
  30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

George, Are you coming to the Portland Swap Meet this coming week ? I will be there on Friday.