Register now to get rid of these ads!

need info on CE mustang 2 front end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by imnuts, Aug 1, 2013.

1. does anyone know what the rotors and brake pads, they used on a chassis engineering bolt on m2 front suspension for a 53 chevy sedan, are from. I need to buy new ones and would like to buy locally.

thanks
    Rob

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Post a picture of the setup. Unless they are the dinky little Ford originals, they are likely GM calipers, and a Camaro rotor. Trouble is, there were TWO common GM calipers used. They look similar, but one is larger that the other. If the caliper is held in by cross pins, then it is a GM unit. The spacing of those pins tells the tale on the exact caliper. One is 7". That is the GM mid-sized caliper, common up to about '78. If it is 5-1/2"-ish, that is the GM Metric caliper, '79-'88 ish. Camaro parts either way.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. The ones on my MII are mid size gm rotors I don't have part numbers handy but can get them if needed. Call CE and ask ,they are good people to deal with in my experience or take to parts store (if you have an actual parts store with knowable people) and let them match up or cross-reference part numbers.

5. thanks you da man it is the one on the left the smaller one. thanks a bunch

Rob

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call out '82 Camaro at the parts store, and I believe that you will be okay.

Wheel bearings varied, so you may have to pull out both the inner and outer cups and cones, and look at the numbers etched on them. Better stores can match them by number, or you can cross-reference them on the interwebs.

The replacement rotors may come with races pre-installed, DO NOT assume that they are the correct ones. Knock them out and check. You will want to match what you currently have.

7. again thanks a bunch very useful info!!

Rob

8. rotors from a 1982 Camaro don't work, they are to narrow and stick out to far for the calipers to fit properly. so i'm still trying to figure out which rotor I need as well as which bearings I need.

Rob

9. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

78 Malibu....

I think speedway sells them in there MII big brake kit....

10. metalman

metalman

Correct on the 78ish Malibu rotors but like Gimpy said, change out the bearing races in those new rotors. They might go on ok but they definataly will be different then the races used to fit GM rorors to a Must II spindle.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ooops! Sorry! The boys seem to have found the correct rotors already.

12. thanks, will check them out

13. Jokester

Jokester

The setup that came on my car used 74 Nova rotors. But I had to knock out the bearings and use Mustang II bearings. With the GM bearings I could assemble it, but there wasn't enough thread to put a cotter pin in the spindle. The Mustang bearings were same ID and OD, but just enough thinner that the nut and cotter pin would assemble with no problem.

my 2¢

.bjb

14. 74 nova is the same as 81 Camaro the problem I had was the rotor was to far outward to get the caliper on.