Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need info.216 to 292 y block in 53 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1bdsinner, Sep 10, 2007.

1. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

I am in search of motor mounts and maybe some pics from those who have done this. I have a friend who donated a 292 out of a truck and would like to put it in. Also what about the bell housing? same from the 215 to the 292? if not who has one that will work and how much? what about flywheel? the 292 has auto and would like to keep my manual trans.. if you can at least point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.. thank you

2. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

What are you trying to say? Never heard of a ford "216". Are you talking about a '53 Ford 6? If so the transmission will bolt to a 292 Y-block (if it''s a small truck engine). But, you aint gonna fit that into your '53 simply with some aftermarket mounts. If it's really a truck motor the pan should have a rear sump which helps get it behind the front crossmember but it may still need a notch. Generator will probably have to be relocated.

3. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

1953 ford mainline business coupe sorry . the straight 6 has 4k miles on it but just is not going to cut it. I could not keep up with Jerry n the crew on the way to Tucson this past weekend.

4. (IMO) :D

The '53 came with the Flathead as the V8 option and was mounted with front and rear mounts, much like a Y-BLOCK pickup or 55/57 BIRD. By using these, it should just about bolt in.

5. kustomkat

kustomkat

I am no expert but I will throw my 2 cents in. You will want a truck pan with a rear sump. There are a couple ways to go, and I've done both. The first time I used a stock y-block passenger car front motor mount, modified slightly. I welded a bracket to the front crossmember and used round doughnut style motor mounts to attach the front mount to the mount welded to the crossmember. This is basically kinda like how a y-block is mounted in a T-bird. If you do this you will need to use some sort of steady rest to keep the motor from flopping around, as it is only mounted at the extreme front and at rear of the trans. A pickup bellhousing has mounting feet on it but it would make things a little tight under there. That system served me well since about 1997. I am currently re-doing the mounts and using the side mounts. My skills have improved since I was a youngster and think this is a better way to go. While the swap was not hard, it is a little more complicated than find some flathead mounts and throw it in. I also notched the crossmember to get the motor down in the car. If you are going with a stick shift on the column, exhaust is a little tight. I went with ram horns and they work well, as would center dump headers... Good luck with the swap, you won't be dis-appointed

6. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

thanks for all the input sounds like it is not that bad of a swap. it originally came with flathead but they put this six in it and now time for more power. anyone got any exhaust manifolds for it? it still has the stock truck manifolds with the cross over in front. Can you post me some pics so i can have a good reference kustomkat? thanks

7. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

yes it is a truck 292 so that will bolt right to this 215 bell housing right? or I need to change it too? i am getting both sides some say it wont and others say it will. someone please point me in right direction. thanks

8. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

ford 215 with 4500 miles on rebuild by Built Engines out of parkville m.o if anyone is interested in a good motor? make offer. selling complete or trade parts.. thankyou

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

can't help you as far as what fits what and which pan and what mounts and all that but I do have a Y block flywheel and bellhousing out of an F-100. pretty sure it was a 55.

this sucker is heavy. shipping might be $$$$.... PM me if you think it may be something that you need. $50 bucks for both.

10. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER