Register now to get rid of these ads!

need ideas for bucket seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frige, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Frige

Frige

In my 53 belair 2 door I need to install some nice front seats. The bench seat is long gone and I have a console to hold the shifter so they have to be buckets. I have some high backs from a 70 mach 1 but they are too short and uncomfortable. I tried some from a tahoe and while really nice, they are huge and wont fit. I kinda feel like Im in the 3 bears story LOL.

Ideas? Electric with back support would be nice. :D

2. I've seen honda and corvette seats refoamed and with the headrest removed look pretty nice

3. speed-kings

speed-kings

Take measurements for what you need, then go to the pull a part and find some nice ones.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NO highbacks! Those things ruin the whole look of the interior of any older vehicle no matter what it is.

Mid 80's Mercedes two door seats minus the head rests look right in older cars. Actually most mid 80's full sized German cars had presentable seats for older cars when you throw the removable head rests away.

The late 70's early 80's Ford Grenada and Mercury Monarch two doors had seats that you could pull the headrest off and the tops of the seats were fairly square.

You need to find seats that have removable head rests that have a rather square looking lean back an not the narrow Ricky Racer looking ones.

This is one of the 88 Audi 5000 Turbo seats that is going in my 48. It won't work for a tudor because it's out of a four door but you can see that with the headrest removed the top of the seat is fairly low and it is somewhat squared off so that it doesn't look so out of place in an older rig.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

5. build your own.

Attached Files:

6. Frige

Frige

Yep been wandering around in the muddy salvage yards looking. The ones that seem to be the right size are from the midsize cars like impalas. The camrys also have nice seats. You dont see many older Mercedes in the yards. I will keep looking.
    The low back look is a good idea that would match the original back seat better.

7. Frige

Frige

Do you have the width of the Mercedes seats? They cant be over 22 inches.

8. afaulk

afaulk

I just put a set of new seats in an OT car. They're Procar 9000s made by Scat available from Jegs with or without headrests. Available in black, white, gray, or tan, with brackets and shipping right at $600 for two. Dimensions availlable just Google procar seats.

9. Frige

Frige

10. I just got a set from a 87 mercedes. 22 inches wide and rolled and pleated from the factory. They are perfect for my 40 coupe.

11. wsdad

wsdad

These work pretty good if you flip them up-side-down.

[​IMG]

12. belyea_david

belyea_david
    from Regina, SK

This is funny shit!

13. Frige

Frige

Look comfy but Im a drag racer so the ball area will have to be bigger....:D

14. i know a lot of s10 guys put grand-am leather seats in their rides, definately a smaller seat.
    i think you have the right idea looking at impalas, it seems to me that the grand am's are almost always in the junkyard.

15. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Try BMW E30 3-series. They're compact seats with the squarish, older-car look that usually larger Mercedes-Benz seats have. They've also got concave plastic backs that will help with rear legroom, the headrests remove easily, and the seats mount to a flat floor. Ones for 2-door bodies have tilting backs with an extra lever on the driver's side of the passenger seat.

16. My current ones (rest of the interior has been tossed). I have been told they are Honda buckets. I think they look too new style-wise.

Mine:
    [​IMG]

My console is custom built and I'm leaving it in... I'm looking for some plain simple buckets... Corvair? Tempest?

17. twochops

twochops

Frist one my chopped 49 Merc , other my chopped 57 Buick.
    Enjoy ---------TwoChops

Attached Files:

18. MikesIron

MikesIron
    from Union, OR

I put some mid-70s Volvo buckets in my 57 Chevy p/u. To be more specific, they came out of a 144. Nice headrests, which could be removed if you don't want 'em. Typical adjustments, in addition to a lumbar support that is adjustable. In my view, any seat that fits in the overall dimensions can be made to fit.

19. two chops, those look great what are they corvair or early 60's gm or something? spill it!!

20. These may work. You may even somehow get em' to swivel!

Attached Files:

21. I agree, stay away from hiback seats........

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

check threads, Social Groups for '53-'54 Chevy's. no to any high back buckets or from the 80's, etc. as said, check 60's medium to full size American cars

23. vince89

vince89

im a bit late but just wanna thank you guys for the fresh ideas.
    ive been looking for nice american bucket seats and they are rare and very expensive overhere.
    with the new laws overhere many Mercedes wil hit the junkyards so those seats are cheap.
    they look good they are fat and some chrome on them they are pretty cool without a headrest.
    and i am doing upholstery. so i can make them look the way i want them so thanks for the ideas.