Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help withT V cable on a 302 with a AOD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bluestang67, Dec 1, 2009.

1. bluestang67

bluestang67

I have a 302 with the Edelbrock 1405 carb . The trans a AOD from a 88 mustang . I am trying to mod something to connect the T V cable to the carb . I know they sell a bracket but at $40 I would like to see if someone has had some luck already . It needs to have a 2 inch pull on the cable to control the pressure in the trans valve . So has anyone here ran a AOD and did something similar .

[​IMG]

Tryied this but valve cover interfers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shot with old Holley
    [​IMG]

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

40 bucks is cheap compared to a new tranny. all of the fabbed stuff i've seen failed miserably. the kickdown on an aod is very sensitive...best do it right.

3. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

you might want to plug that dizzy hole up..if something goes down there...you're screwed.

4. bluestang67

bluestang67

5. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

He is right...if you don't set up that kick down correctly on that tranny, it won't downshift fast enough, or vise versa....and you will smoke it very quickly...pony up the 40$...it's well worth it!

6. bluestang67

bluestang67

Its coming apart for a rebuild and cleaning .

7. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

ok..we'll let you slide..ha ha

8. bluestang67

bluestang67

Coming to see they are to critical to tamper with .

9. bluestang67

bluestang67

Yeah have everything here its a low mileage .

10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

In less than an hour you could have the Lokar on and working there are some real good prices on ebay and the brackets are available generic if you are on a budget.Here is the hookup on my '54 Ford with AOD and 302.

Attached Files:

11. twofosho

twofosho

The early 80's TBI small blocks used a rod type linkage to the AOD. Just be sure to adapt or mimmic the throttle body bell crank on your carburetor. If the transmission linkage arm used with the rod is different from the cable one, you'd need it too.

12. bluestang67

bluestang67

Jeff I measured the spring hole where you have you TV cable and only had 1 1/2 inch of movement did it change anything for your trans , or is the trow on the trans you have shorter .

Attached Files:

13. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

you se that slack in the cable..it kind of hangs loose with 1/8 or 1/4 inch drop?that's how close tolerance it is. also you need to hook guage up to the pressure port and adjust it by that.

14. bluestang67

bluestang67

Hotrod I did read all I could find on that . Setting the initial 5 psi some have been known to respond better with a 4 psi also..

15. twofosho

twofosho

A very important thing on all these throttle valve controlled transmissions (Ford AOD, GM 200R4, 700R4, etc) is to make sure they start building pressure as soon as the throttle is cracked right off idle. Failing to do so will dramatically shorten their service life.

Try this http://www.txchange.com/aodadj.htm

I've always felt buying and using a transmission pressure gage and factory manual to set up one of these transmissions will pay dividends no matter what you're using for linkage.

16. shagg'n

shagg'n

Second the Lokar deal-did similiar set up myself,tranny guy said adjustment was critical to prevent burning up trans.Lokar kit worked well,I also used new braket assy they offer to replace one on side of trans.It allows infinite adjustment for any shifter set up,as well as clearances for floors etc.Worth a few dollars,less aggravation.

17. bluestang67

bluestang67

Thanks shagg'n

Twofo the cable I have is original to the trans and still has it's preset tension on it . I would still place a gauge in the port to see if it had any stretch in it . I did go ahead and order the conversion bracket for the Edelbrock . , Like all have said less worry .

I am placing this one for sale when i get it going and if i was keeping it , there would be a lokar or a 5 spd for sure in it .

Attached Files:

18. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I see you are using a Performer intake which has very little height,if you notice in my pictures the 2" carb spacer this does two things,it aligns the TV cable and bracket on a more even plane and gives the clearance needed to run an HEI with a 14" air filter.With an AOD kit from Lokar it also comes with a tool included to help set pressure,with the car fully warmed up so the carb is off fast idle is when you make your pressure checks, ideal pressure is 2-3 psi at idle and 30-33 psi with the tool in.There is something else about AOD's that is critical and it concerns your rear end ratio,if your rear end ratio is higher than 3.50 you will need to make a modification to the governor or the transmission may not upshift.If it is higher than 3.50 send me a pm for more info.

19. bluestang67

bluestang67

Actually intake is the original Ford H O aluminum duel plane from 84 . Dont think rear end will be any more then a 3.55 they say thats perfect for a AOD .

Thank you for your offer and knowledge .