Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Help with toploader interchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Iceberg460, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Whats up guys.
    I'm building a '78 Ford 460 (I know its not traditional but its what I already had) for my 28 Dodge. I already have a C6 auto for it, but would much rather have a 4 speed, and have been checking out listings on ebay for a bellhousing and trans. Right now I'm looking at a close ratio toploader for a '67-'69 Fairlane 390 (tag RUG-C2) and a bellhousing for a '79 pickup with a 460. I'm pretty sure the bolt pattern is the same but I have been told the front bearing retainer for the truck trans is larger then the car version. Is this true? And if so will I be able to bolt the front bearing retainer for a truck trans the car trans without major modifications? And if not, what are my other options? Thanks

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I put a 3 speed top loader from a 390 pickup to a 460 using a Lakewood blow shield. The blowshield should have been the same as a stock bellhousing. Bolted right up. Worked fine without any anything. I have bolted top loaders to Pontiac and Chevy bellhousings as well as to a Packard. There was plenty of material to turn the bearing retainer to fit. I am told pre '64 top loaders had a smaller diameter bearing retainer.

3. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Thanks RichFox, guess I'm getting a 4 speed:D