Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help with thru frame connector

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deuce666, May 17, 2018.

1. deuce666

deuce666
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

I searched the HAMB and other online sources but can't quite find the answer to my problem.

The right front connection from the brake line through a thru-frame connector and out to the brakes continues to leak. I'm using 3/16" brake lines. A brake line runs across the front cross member (pic1) to a converter fitting (from female flare to male 1/8" NPT) (see pic2) and then into the thru frame connector (pic3 and pic4). In infow side of the thru-frame connector is 1/8" NPT and the outflow side is AN3.

It leaks at both connection on the converter fitting. I cleaned up the NPT threads with a die, and have tried it with and without teflon paste. I've replaced the cross member brake line and flare fitting twice, I'm on the third converter fitting and on the third thru-frame connector (a Speedway product). I've loosened and re-tightended all connections multiple times. I've carefully cleaned the fittings. No improvement.

My questions:
    1. In plumbing this car, I've never had any issues with AN3 connections. Does anyone know if there is a thru-frame connector for a 1-1/2" deep frame that has AN3 connections on each end rather than just one end? All the ones at Summit, JEGS and Speedway are the same as mine.
    2. What am I doing wrong or missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. southcross2631

southcross2631

Have used Speedway through the frame connectors like yours without issue.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Why the teflon on the compression fitting threads? It's the seat that makes the seal.
    Remove the hard line, look at the double flare CLOSELY, (if necessary, remove it completely and turn it around.) Likely you will find that one side of the double flare is not concentric...That is where it'll leak.
    Threads on that type fitting are inconsequential.

The threads on the 1/8" pipe fitting can be 'doped' with a bar of Ivory soap. (instead of the 'trick' teflon) Clean the male threads dry, (alcohol or Brakleen) and rub dry Ivory into threads. (Ivory also works on gasoline threads!) Old tech, old when I learned it in '52.

alanp561 likes this.
  4. 325w

325w
    from texas

If it's leaking on the green brakeline side the flare may be cracked.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Look inside you pipe to flare fitting.
    I have seen some that the threads don't go deep enough to seat the flare nut.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I think this will help.. my buds have found the best thru-frame fittings come from Art Morrison. They don't have a large internal passage that can trap air, just a hole the same size as your lines. Here is the link. I also think they can be ordered in a variety of lengths, but I can't confirm that from their web page. Give them a call. Gary
    http://www.artmorrison.com/brakes.php

7. 392

gnichols is spot on.

8. 48jeep

48jeep

Are you sure that the end that you have the brass fitting screwed into is pipe thread? Some AN threads and pipe threads are close enough in size that they will thread together but not seal.

9. partssaloon

partssaloon

Might want to look at this.

10. deuce666

deuce666
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

Thanks for all the great tips - I'll try them this weekend!!

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

G.Nichols: Thanks for the tip, Art is very thorough in planning and execution! (didn't know he had these!)

12. deuce666

deuce666
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

A quick update. I purchased a thru frame connector from Art Morrison with AN3 on each end. Hooked it up, no more leaks!! Thanks “gnichols” for the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rjones35 likes this.