Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help with Model A frame ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jmountainjr, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a model A frame. Based on research of the various brackets and crossmember cutouts etc., I put it at a late '29 or maybe an early '30. No serial number stamping is readable on the left frame rail under the cowl area. This is what has me puzzled: all of the frame demention charts I've seen call out the distance between the frame hole for the front cowl mounting bolt and the first hole on the rear cowl mounting bracket to be 8 1/2". On this frame it's 11". If I set a cowl lower wood block on the frame with the front bolt in the feame hole, the first rear bracket bolt is in front of the bracket, and the rear hole in the wood block bolt aligns up with the front bolt hole on the rear mounting bracket. The frame hole for the front cowl bolt is located per the frame diagrams at 18 3/4" from the front face of the middle X-member. It's the rear cowl mounting bracket that is located closer to the X-member. The bracket is still riveted in place and no extra holes showing it to be moved. What body style may have used such a mounting arrangement?

2. trad27

trad27

There is a local model A restorer, one time I was looking at his T5 conversion under the car and noticed what you described, the holes where off on the front frame bracket and only using the front bolt hole. This is his very nicly restored '30 tudor and he is THE model A guy in Bakersfield so I dont think the holes where just off. I was going to ask him about it that day but forgot, next time I am over there, probly this week, I will ask and get back to you.

Does it have steering box cut outs on both rails? I belive that '30-'31 is only on the drivers side. On the inside of the frame hornes were you would put a spreader bar does it have a round cup or a horse shoe? I think the horse shoe is '28 but it has been awile I am sure someone will correct or confirm me.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  3. alchemy

alchemy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The onlyway I know to tell a 28/9 from a 30/1 is by the front crossmember. The radiator mounting area on the 28/9 is about flush with the frame rail, and the 30/1 is dished downward.

There are other places to tell, such as the holes for the hood hooks drilled in the tops of the rails, and the holes in the rail sides where the brake actuating crossrod comes through (either smooth or belled holes), but I can't describe which fits which year.

4. ND 1949 B66-465

ND 1949 B66-465
    from Minot ND

You might have a frame from a 31 slant post. They also had a extra bracket towards the rear, I think called body mount #6. Go to the Ford Barn and do a search, lot of frame info there. look at www.plucks329s.org More frame info then you will ever want to see!!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. late 31 cowl only uses the front 2 bolt holes
    if that makes any sence
    tk

6. oj

oj

Maybe the touring car had the frame mounted cowl bracket moved rearward to help support the door since there was no roof. Ford did a number of things to gussett that body stlye up to prevent flex and the doors popping open at awkward moments.

7. 1928 AR frames have special holes in the center crossmember for the left hand e-brake handle. Also the Model A engines attached to the front crossmember directly off the timing gear cover instead of the small wishbone found on most A motors. 1928-29 had holes on both sides of the frame for steering boxes as far as I know up until the 30 frames started coming down the assembly line. Another point of interest about the center crossmember is post 28 the crossmember has spade shaped cutouts, Henry took and made brackets on the outside of the frame that held the anti rattlers out of those pieces of crossmember. This is what I recall, forgive me if its incorrect as I am still learning and young in the game.-Weeks

8. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This frame has the '29 style front X-member, but does not have the right frame rail drilled for a steering box??