Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Help with Identificaiton

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spark Plug, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Spark Plug

Spark Plug
    from Duvall, WA

Picked up a 5-window coupe body from a guy that was using it for yard art. I might end up doing the same since the front is all twisted up, unless I can ID it and track down a better cowl and drivers door.

He thought it was a 1929 Durrant, but I haven't found any Durrant models like it. The only thing I have found close is a Cadillac, but the cowl tag doesn't fit with what Cadillacs had.

Anyone know what it is?

Attached Files:

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

Beltline looks like 30-31 Olds.

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

I give up.

My best guess is 30-31 Dodge/Plymouth.

4. epinut

epinut

Not sure but it looks like Pontiac 28-29...

5. Merc63

Merc63

lol! And people are saying new cars are starting to look the same...

6. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

If you cant fix that, someone else can!

7. Whats the little square tag on the passenger side firewall?

The body style is a 4-passenger or club coupe. Pontiac and Oakland didn't offer one according to this book, although the body lines are close to 28-29 Pontiacs. The tag in the closeup has a format close to some 1920's Chrysler serial numbers, I forget the name for the type of number but they used a certain named type of serial so it may be able to be looked up. I don't have a lot of pre-1930 stuff to look through for data, though.

I don't see this bodystyle in the Plymouth book; Dodge has a Brougham in 1929 which is the same thing but the trunk is seperate - but I don't see one for 1930-31. My guess is it was a more expensive car; I saw a 29 or so Studebaker that had the same type of body last week but looking in my book on those, the rear window top has more of an arch to it.

The guys on the AACA forums (www.aaca.org) are pretty good at ID'ing these things, you might try posting it over there -

One thing's for sure, it's distinctive. It may be bent but it's certainly buildable -

8. Actually, now that I look at this print, I think maybe yours is also a 1928 or 1929 Studebaker -

Attached Files:

9. Spark Plug

Spark Plug
    from Duvall, WA

Getting close it looks like. Do you have any more pictures of this car? Hard to tell if the belt line is the same, but the cowl area certainly looks like it. Also the body reveals around the windows are different it looks like.