Register now to get rid of these ads!

need help with ford transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by legend, Jun 23, 2010.

1. legend

legend
    from Irwin PA

Help as a former chevy guy i need some direction from a ford transmission expert. My 41 ford has a 3 speed FMX transmission. I had it rebuilt last year and everything was fine. When it sat over the winter i noticed a puddle of trans fluid under it.:confused: I tightened up the bolts on the pan and the leak slowed some what. kept checking the fluid and drove it a couple of weekend to local shows till I could get it back to shop that did tranny. On sunday went to local show everything was fine came home and went to back up no reverse.:eek: Did I screw up my tranny? I can't have a 1000 miles since it was rebuilt. Its going back to shop tomorrow.

Also if I want to change to a different trans what would be the same size? With the X frame there is not much room to work with.
    Thanks for any input

2. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

First off what motor is in front of the trans. If its a SBF a C4 would work. You may have to move the trans mount and change the drive shaft.

The FMX is a good trans but they need to be full. If not reverse is the first to not work. Check the trans fluid after it warm and been shifted through the gears a few times.

I had a 351 with a C4 in my 41 Ford. The trans fit the stock X member with out any problems. The C4 is not as wide as the FMX and has a shorter trans pan.

3. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I used to have a Torino with the FMX. Not having reverse was it's way of saying it needed the fluid topped up.

4. legend

legend
    from Irwin PA

Thanks for the info guys. Hot40rod mines a 351 also I'll check the fluid issue.:rolleyes: