Register now to get rid of these ads!

need help with a 39 ford radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadfever, Mar 21, 2012.

1. I have a 39 ford standard coupe and trying to figure what fits as far as the radiator is concerned. I probably be running a 283 when the time comes. There are lots of listings for 39 deluxe rads but not so much for the Standards. Are they that different that they do not fit?
    I still have the original rad for the flathead.
    I would love to be able to afford a Walker but a cheaper aluminum is more likely.
    Thanks

2. I'm sure someone who knows more than I do will be along to give you a definitive answer. I've only owned a couple of early Fords, but if I remember correctly, isn't 39 Standard the same as a 38 Deluxe?

3. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

If you still have the original radiator, why not just take it to a radiator shop and have the neck's modified to fit whatever motor you end up with?

4. JimSwann

JimSwann

I used the OG radiator in my 35 Ford pickup for years, it cooled fine but got hot in traffic. Just ordered a Brassworks radiator for the 35, should have it in 2 weeks or so. Brassworks was $100.00 cheaper than Walker, I think Brassworks also makes a better product. I bought a new Walker for the 35 but it was a total POS, so back it went.

5. George/Maine

George/Maine

I have seen a guy use a s10 raditior tiped on end.Block off 2 and use orginal if any good.I bought a walker for my 39 St and was $750 But I have no more over heating problems.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I drove my 36 sedan to Memphis in 1980 running a 283 and the original 36 radiator and a mechanical fan. It was over 100* every day for a week. I was hot but the 283 never skipped a beat. It came with the 2 unused hose nipples just clamped off with rubber caps. Not pretty but effective.

[​IMG]

This was running a 305 Chevy with a 350 trans behind an original 34 radiator. Never a problem. Oh and it ran a mechanical fan also.