Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need help with 40 Ford windshield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40Ford!!, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Can someone help me with this? I have a 40 Ford PU and it's been chopped 3.5". I need to make some windshield sections. I believe the 40 came with 2 halves and had a division bar. I have already fit the frame with a gasket. It I'm not sure how the two halves fit together? Is there some type of 'H' shaped gasket that I put between the two sections or do I leave a gap and just fill it with silicone? I have never made a windshield so sorry ifI don't know how this works. There was no glass in the cab when I got it. If someone has a picture that would really help. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Each pane has rubber all the way around and they overlap in the center and get sandwiched between the outer and inner division bar.

3. Original 40PU seal had molded center section that joined the 2 windshield halves. The division bar (inner and outer pieces) compresses the seal in the center.

4. fatkoop

fatkoop

Look in the Carpenter catalog for windshield gasket. I think there are pics of how the whole thing goes together. If not, a short internet search should get you some info.

5. Ok guys thanks...... Once again the HAMBers come through!

6. Got the correct rubber and installed it yesterday. I have a 3.5" chop so I had to do come cutting. Now I just need to make a template for the glass.

Attached Files:

7. If you're going to v-butt the glass (eliminating the division bar), then you modify the rubber seal slightly and cut the glass slightly wider; you then seal the smaller gap with silicon or some sort of suitable sealer. Old trick...

8. Steve, I was going to use the "V" technique but for this build it may look a bit too modern so I'm going with the division bar. Thanks.

9. All of the windshield stuff for '40-'47 truck is the same as '40 car.

10. Good to know thanks