Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help wiring adjustable vacuum lockup switch for a 700r4

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31aBoy, Nov 19, 2011.

1. 31aBoy

31aBoy

2. Just had a 200-4R put in wifes 50 and it just has a toggle switch to engage the lockup so I have to remember to do it on the freeway. It only locks up in 4th gear so it won't kill the motor if I forget to turn it off. I think the vacuum and brake controls provide more automatic control like cutting out the lockup when you stomp on it and if you step on the brakes. I plan to add them to mine someday.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

are you driving the car now? have TV cable installed/adjusted correct? never heard of this before. search for phoenixtransmissionproducts.com out of Weatherford, Texas for parts and tech help

4. 31aBoy

31aBoy

No, i am not driving the car now, but I will be in a few days for sure. I just want to get this tranny stuff done.

5. flyin54

flyin54
    from modesto ca

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  6. 31aBoy

31aBoy

It helped a bit Flyin54, thanks. But has anyone installed the exact switch i mentioned in the first post?

7. 31aBoy

31aBoy

anyone else?

8. brayrod

brayrod

You do not have to have the vacuum switch for the lockup to work but it provides more automatic control like when going up a hill or W.O.T. the vacuum will drop and the switch will disengage the lockup. This will theoretically get you better gas mileage. You don't have to run it through the brake switch but can so it will also disengage as soon as you hit the brakes. You can use your existing brake switch to do this. I plan on wiring mine like this: http://www.nitrophotos.com/700r4.html only also using a relay btwn. the brake & vacuum switch and 4/3 pressure switch.

Also look at the instructions for the TCI lockup kit and it explains it. You can also wire a manual switch to override the vacuum and brake switch if you wanted to.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/tci-376600.pdf

ochamsrasor likes this.
  9. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Just wire the vacuum switch in series in the circuit going to the lockup solenoid in the tranny. Hook it up to manifold vacuum. Vacuum switch is a good idea since the clutch in the converter is not designed to withstand WOT.

10. 31aBoy

31aBoy

This does not involve removing the transmission pan correct? Where should I mount the switch?

11. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Mount the switch any where that is convienent for you. If the vacuum line and the wires reach it, location does not matter.

12. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

vacuum switch is mounted outside the tranny, anywhere convenient. mine is mounted out of sight under the right side toe board on my 38 chevy coupe

13. 31aBoy

31aBoy

14. Home Brew

Home Brew

I used a kit from Larry's Electric, 618 282 2852. It was an easy install and comes with all the instructions. I tried a toggle switch but kept forgetting to turn it off after coming off the highway. That caused a lot of jerking at the first stop light.

15. 31aBoy

31aBoy

Yeah, that's why I don't wanna run a toggle.

16. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Internal Pressure passages on the 700r4 prevent the torque converter from locking up in first gear. I installed a toggle switch in mine in addition to the vacuum switch just so I can lock the converter up if I want to cruise in 3rd for a while without the slippage of the converter causing unnessary heat to build up. It will only make the converter lock up in second or third not first.

17. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

For a 31, I wouldn't bother w/ a vacuum switch.
    On my 32- I'm using a brake switch from an 81 Vette. Use the 2 connectors on brake switch for cruise control. Touch the brakes & it unlocks the converter. Mine locks up in OD only. Works great. No toggle switch required & nothing to remember.

18. 31aBoy

31aBoy

Cruise control?

19. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

You aren't installing cruise control- just using the Vette brake switch that de-activates the cruise control when you hit the brakes. The brake switch has 4 connections. 2 are for brake switch NO, 2 are for cruise NC. Run 12v hot to the cruise control connection on brake switch & out to the trans connector.
    Make sense now?

20. 31aBoy

31aBoy

21. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Looks like this.
    [​IMG]

22. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

i have a700r4 in my truck with a non lock up converter and have no wiring to do to it. It works fine but after reading this maybe i need to change a few things because when i take trips over the grapevine going south i waste alot of gas and notice a loss in power. Think lockup would help that out? dont meen to jack your thread

23. Clever!