Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help, what is a good price...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davesdiecast, Jul 12, 2013.

1. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

Someone near by me has a complete set of 37 ford axles, front and rear with the brakes and springs, etc. Looks like 4 lever action shocks as well, along with some steering linkages.

First, would this be a good choice for a t bucket build?

Second, what would be a good price? I don't want to insult the guy with a lowball offer, but I don't want to overpay either..

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Ask him what he wants first. If you're willing to pay that price, that's what it's worth.

3. A price up front would help us help you. HRP

4. tinmann

tinmann

Don't forget, '37 is mechanical brakes and wide five pattern. Not generally as desirable as '40 up.

5. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

Thank you, this is the kind of info I need!

As for price up front, he just say to make offer....

And for the brakes and such, he must have gathered the parts for juice brakes, as it is a juice brake setup with the smaller bolt pattern, not the wide 5.

6. F&J

F&J

that year parts with hyd conversion would have been popular with the common hotrod builder years ago. They would have used the spring-ahead setup to get their old 32-34 lower without a dropped axle and getting hyd brakes at the same time.

not many builders do the spring-ahead anymore because they are not old enough to remember what traditional was really like in a blue collar town. It was very common.

Price? Good 37 spindles are 100 minimum, hyd setup F&R if the drums are good, maybe 200 ........ rough pricing at a swap.

a bare 37 axle beam is not much

a rear with the hyd brakes maybe 150 at a swap

if you decide on these for a T, and if you plan on spring-above, you will need the special conversion front spring from Posies, and you must keep the split bones under the car a bit, so the tires don't rub

7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

To put a number on it, I'd say a $400 is a good solid offer without paying too much or going too terribly low (IMO). But that really depends on the market and availability where you are and how much the seller wants the stuff out of the shop (tripping over things seems to lessen their value to people).

Between making multiple trips, shipping and buying all my bits separately, I've spent twice that on similar parts in the Northeast. That said, I don't think I'd be an overly eager buyer at $800 necessarily, but you could easily spend that and more depending on how you buy things. So it's a number to figure out if you can afford or if it's your walk away mark.

Hope that helps.

Are the front and or rear bones part of the deal? Know what ratio the rear is?

It would certainly give you a whole pile of parts to start your T with, whether you end up using every piece of it or not.

8. Fenders

Fenders

Nice 37 - 41 front roundback spindles around here are $200 at the swap meets, if that helps.

9. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

Yeah, front and rear bones are there as well. And it is the roundback spindles I was really eyeballing :D

I'll have to see if I have any car funds left after the Iola car show, and then see if they still have the stuff. Don't want to take anything away from my shop truck build!

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I started The Peter Beater T with almost the exact same stuff....my parts were from a '36. I changed it to spring behind and added the hyd brakes and ran the hell out of it. Good stuff. and yes, I'd agree $400 is in the ballpark if it's all nice stuff. But start low....

11. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Good plan! The front and rear bones are good for another $200 in value from where I'm sitting. If the T was your main focus I'd say you'd be crazy not to make an offer now but with that truck build going it's a different story.

That front suspension with the spring in front might look good with a track nose on your T too.