Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help w/ sheet metal replacement (1950 Chevy)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by S.T.P., Jan 2, 2008.

1. S.T.P.

S.T.P.

Im about to start repairing a 50 Chevy for a friend. Inner and outer cab corners, rockers, front hinge posts, inner and outer cowl and inner to outer cowl along w/ the front floor braces andfront half of the floor.
    All this isnt where Im stuck, this can be done. I wont say eaisily. The problem I have is the top cowl is rusted like swiss cheese. I have a parts truck that would have been a better cab to repair but it was cut into three pieces Top, cowl and lower back not very neatly I might add.
    Now you have the story heres the question. How should I go about keepin the cab square when I take out this much structure or should I start at the cab corners replace the inners the rockers and the posts weld it all in and then re- brace the cab to procede w/ the cowl.
    Thanks for your thoughts

2. Black Primer

Black Primer

I think I would break it down into several smaller projects, finish each one, and move on. If you take out that much structure all at once, there won't be much left to support. Just my .02

3. S.T.P.

S.T.P.

thats what i was thinking but would you start at the cab corners and rockers then move to the cowl or something different.

4. mcc7

mcc7
    from austin

if you put inner structor bar in the doors and x the cab inside like if you were going to shop the top that will hold the cab together

5. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

I would X-brace the heck out of it. Hang your doors so that they are straight. Double measure everything side to side to see what you're starting with. Then I'd do the rockers on one side first. Then the floor braces and floor on one side. Then I'd do the hinge posts. I'd do the some thing to the other side in that order. After the rockers and floor are done on both sides I'd do the cowl sections. Lastly, I'd worry about the cab corners.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Does your friend have a personal attachment to this '50 cab? From
    what you're talking, labor-wise, to say nothing of parts prices, you
    might be way better off with another cab. They built a shit load of
    AD Chevrolets from '48-'54, and they're usually pretty cheap by
    today's parts prices!
    If you must build this one, cross brace the cab, repair the A & B
    inner posts, the lower cowl,rockers and lastly the outer cowl and
    cab outer corners. Not real tough work, jus'slow and dirty.

Swankey Devils C.C.