Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Help to ID Engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rande, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Rande

Rande

I have an old Chevy V8 (1960s I believe). I'm told its a 327. How can I be sure? Engine numbers somewhere?

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm a Ford and Jeep guy.

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

well i dont have my numbers book here but..one way to tell just by looking at it..if it is original and the intake has not been removed to put an after market one on it..it should have the oil filler tube comming out the front of the intake casting

3. Rande

Rande

Guess I should have said more about the situation. Its in a '65 Jeep Gladiator. Not supposed to be there.

Truck is 60 miles away, here is the only photo I have right now. Old air cleaner says 283 but PO says its a 327 and the air cleaner lid was made from on old air cleaner assembly he had.

Attached Files:

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

just by the picture im gonna say nope..not a 327..im gonna say yes to the possibility of the 283. could be a 350..without knowing or seeing it..if it may have been a transplant..but the intake looks to be correct for the engine and the lack of the oil filler tube sends it out of the 327 catagory

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

the casting numbers will definetly tell you without doubt and they can be looked up on-line..

6. Rande

Rande

Thanks Von Rigg, I'm thinking the PO may have been confused. These mid-60s Jeeps could come with the old Rambler (Kaiser?) 327 which I could ID by sight. I have one in my '64 Gladiator. He may have thought thats what it was.

As a rule, if its a mid-60s Jeep with a V8, its the old Rambler 327. This is obviously a Chevy.

Just wondering what I have.

7. Rande

Rande

I'll keep looking online and try to find some numbers. I don't know any Chevy sites and thought I should try here.

Thanks again.

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

did the ramblers (kaiser)have the stock 327 intake on them? if so it would have that oil filler tube..if not..than it could be possible..you kinda took me somewhere ive never been..Jeep world..lol

9. Rande

Rande

Rambler 327 is a completely different engine from the Chevy 327.

AMCs have the oil fill tube at the front of the intake but that old Rambler, boy, I just don't know. My '64 is a parts truck and I haven't looked at it in a while. When I saw this Chevy in there, I didn't even look at the '64.

10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

See if you can get the number off the block deck right in front of the passenger side head. I've got reference books, but need some numbers. What you have could be a 283, 307, 327, 350....heads and intakes are all interchangeable.

11. Rande

Rande

I'll get those numbers as soon as I can. It may not be before this coming weekend. The truck is 60 miles away at a friend's.

12. A lot of correctness in what these guys have said, but let me add to it;
    starting in '68 all small blocks(chevy, there aint no other kind, is there?) had bolt holes in the end of the heads, so that means only one year of 327 that had them and it had the correspondingly big journal crank, and in '67 there was a 350 in the camaro, but it had the big journal, and the 283 never was built in the big journal, the 307 superceded it, and what you have pictured is a motor with late heads, but that don't mean much, just the code on the front of the block, on the machined deck that sticks out from in front of the right head, get that and we can decode it for you and tell you what the block was when it was new. Probably have to scrape it, even paint can fill in the stamped code.