Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help starting my first project right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PunkRodder, Feb 18, 2008.

1. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

In my previous post I had just bought a fordor. Not sure if I am going to keep it as I have it listed in the classifieds. It is a little much for my first project,but I may take on the challenge. That being said I don't want to turn a 29 fordor into a pile of scrap. I halve some basic questions before I start to build.

I would like to chop the forder in to an extended cab PU kinda like this. excuse the photo shop, it's not to scale.
    [​IMG]

I need to take the doors off but they are pretty frozen,despite the penetrate. Is it possible to separate the hinges?

[​IMG]

I want to fit a v8 on the chassis. My buddy is giving me a 302. I know not a traditional motor but hey it's free. Question is where on the chassis should the front of cowl be placed? I need to leave enough room for the motor fan and radiator. I need to know this to see how where the rear of the cab is going to fall as I think I am probable going to have to extent the chassis out a couple feet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help that comes my way.

2. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

of course this one started as a tudoor...

kustombuilder, here, started to build it but it looks like its for sale in the classifieds
    [​IMG]

3. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Thats pretty cool, I think i am going with Ford wire wheels and white walls. Way down the road tho.

4. RodStRace

RodStRace

Pick a theme and stay with it. collect as many parts as you can first, and research what you want and need for the build.
    Take the frame and set it aside for now.
    Set the body on the ground, and set the motor in front of it.
    Look at the firewall area and move them apart and together until it's right.
    Next, take the rear end and do the same.
    If you can get a front end and radiator, prop them up too.
    Keep moving them until it all fits.
    Cut up a sheet of cardboard and mark off 2 inch squares, and a foot. Set it next to the body.
    Now take a side picture of it and get an 8X10. run off 50 copies and go at it with sissors.
    You should have a pretty good idea if the frame will even work at this point.
    Figure out what you can do with the body and if you can see it through BEFORE cutting.

5. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

You bit off one hell of a job for your first project.

6. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Yeah that what it is also for sale. We will see which one comes first. If no one takes it off my hands I guess I am going to try.

7. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

If I'm not mistaken, the bolt holes in the top of the frame about 6" in front of the cowl/firewall will correspond to 2 bolt holes just at the front of the cowl itself. They may also be just behind that first piece of metal that goes across the frame.

Also, on this frame, if the VIN#/SN# is available, it should be on the left/driver's side of the frame rail, just behind that bolt hole I was just referring you to.

8. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

on those door hinges...we use this rust penatrant " P B BLASTER " rust buster, spray it on anything frozen and keep spraying and in 2 days to a week it is unfrozen. never seen anything like it...get it at the auto parts store. try it. i freed up some door hinges, that sat closed for 50 + years. good luck dave

9. David Chandler

David Chandler

Not to piss on your parade, but your frame looks bent, in front of the cowl, and that front crossmember looks funky too. If it was me, and I wanted to save this thing, I'd get the doors off of the cowl to start with so that you can remove it for the moment. And then I'd get the frame up onto some sort of platform that you can check it over for being square and level. Once that is done, you can place your engine, and then figure where the cowl will end up. If you want to run a hood, then the firewall will need some relief work, rather than making a custom hood. Another option would be to buy another frame from someone like "Vaphead", and go from there, or make one from boxed tubing, or pick up another original if your's needs too much work. On the bright side, you have it and you can take your time do make it come out right.

10. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Thanks for the help. I called a guy today at a local body shop. They are known to work with older stuff. I was going to take it to them to straighten and squere. He said it might be as cheap as 80 bucks. Someone did a number on the front cross member so I am going o have to cut it out and replace it. What does "Vaphead sell his for? Like someone on here has already told me"they are all budget builds"

11. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Thanks for the help. I called a guy today at a local body shop. They are known to work with older stuff. I was going to take it to them to straighten and square. He said it might be as cheap as 80 bucks. Someone did a number on the front cross member so I am going o have to cut it out and replace it. What does "Vaphead sell his for? Like someone on here has already told me"they are all budget builds"

12. Senica

Senica

THAT'S hot!:D

13. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

here is gmcbubbas ride. thought it may give you some motivation.

[​IMG]

14. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

man that is bitchen. does he have thead or build info?

15. crapshoot

crapshoot

wtf's with every body wanting extened cab pick up's? turn that fucker into a drag car. stick the rear end right in the cab. here's a crappy photo chop. to me it looks better this way than a truck that every joe shmo is doing but each to there own

[​IMG]