Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help on oiling ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by outlawsteel, Sep 13, 2011.

1. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

Well I go to prime my new built 283 and it's getting 55lbs to the Gage. But it's not oiling on the top half of engine( valve c overs off). So I know there is no oil on top hAlf. Any suggestions would be greAt before I have to pull the intake and all off. I have built 100s of sbc and never had this problem. I got the engine from my machinist so I know it's quality ( headwork bottom end). any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Does your primer have the body like that of a distributor?, so oil can make it across on the right bank.

3. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

Yes primer has the body like on dizzy

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Then maybe it's what I've run into once. The oiling holes on the rockers did not line up with push rods. Even though I rotated the engine I still had a hard time getting oil up top. Do you have the intake in place? If not pull push rods out and see if lifters are oiling. If so just keep on priming.

5. Pro Shifted

Pro Shifted

sometimes takes over 5 minutes, if you have oil pressure it will come. roll the engine 90 as you are giving yourself and the drill a break.

6. Keep priming and rotate the engine in 1/4 increments. If you do not get oil then I would guess something is wrong in the galley or a cam bearing is not lined up correctly. ????

7. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Put a gauge on it ,does the drill bog down like it has pressure,it's possible that a oil galley plug is out. Everyone is correct,spin the engine a little and it should get there eventually.